February marks the time of the Chinese New Year. This year is the year of the Ox. Actually, January 26th is the official start of the Chinese New Year, but the celebrating goes well into February. A systematic, methodical and conservative approach appeals most, to natives of this sign.In celebration of the Chinese New Year I hosted an intimate luncheon with a couple of girlfriends. I set the table with my mother's china and silver and hung Chinese lanterns from the chandelier. I think she would have approved.
One of my friends just celebrated her birthday on February 1st, the other girlfriend just celebrated the arrival of her very first grandson. I got engaged to my husband of 36 years on February 14,1973. At any rate, February brought much to give thanks for.
President Obama was born the year of the ox. Also, born the year of the ox, was my sister Nonie. She passed away February 19th, 1978. There's always the bitter with the sweet. She would have loved having lunch with us.
Anyway, the luncheon was a success. We started the luncheon out with champagne, toasting to the good fortune of our long time friendships. We ate Chinese chicken salad, a fruit salad consisting of fresh raspberries, fresh boysenberries, cantaloupe, and red seedless grapes. We also had Holland Crunch rolls, even though they aren't a Chinese tradition, just because they are delicious and I knew my friends would approve. We had almond cookies, fortune cookies and chocolate cake for desert, in celebration of my friend's February birthday. I put little beaded mirrored lipstick cases inside silver Chinese takeout boxes as favors for my guests to take home with them. They came at 1:00 and didn't even get up from the table until 4:30. Time sure flies when you're having fun. Taking every opportunity to celebrate life makes life more meaningful!


6 comments:
You all stayed at the table for 3 1/2 hours!? That is a sign of a good party. I know Nonie would have loved being there. You must think of her during every celebrating occasion. I'm sure you do.
Love the candles lit in the afternoon, and the Chinese boxes, and your Mom's china. What a special afternoon.
What a beautiful table to celebrate important things in our lives. The coffee shop looks like a great place to go and meet interesting people.
You are so creative!! Can you give me some tips on a very easy yet very special and nice luncheon for my Lonely Wives Luncheon I will try to hold on March 20? There will be kids running around, so need to make them lunch too, and so far maybe 4-5 lonely wives (deployed hubbies).
Jocelyn, St. Patty's Day is on March 17th. Why don't you tie your luncheon into St. Patty's Day. Do cornbeef and cabbage and go green.
What a fun and fantasitic idea!
I am a bit late in visiting, but your tablescape is gorgeous!
Post a Comment