Sunday, February 22, 2009

Brookie's Beloved Kona

You can see Brook here relaxing with her cat Kona. Kona-Mocha-Java to be precise. Look closely you'll see Kona's eye's peeking out behind his black furry body. Kona loved it when Brookie rubbed his head.

Yesterday I got a call from my middle daughter Brookie. She was sobbing on the phone, unable at first, to even say what was wrong. All I wanted to do was put my arms around her and console her, but she lives a 1000 miles away and there was nothing I could do but listen.

Brook explained to me through her tears that her cat, Kona, had been viciously killed by four stray dogs. She hadn't been home, her neighbors had tried to rescue Kona, but it was too late.

Brook was unconsolable. Kona has been Brookie's cat for at least 10 years and has been with her through all the ups and downs of life, since she left college. Kona was her touchstone really. She could always count on coming home to Kona's welcome. Kona was a big, black, fiesty cat that adored Brookie from the get go. For anyone that has ever loved and lost a pet, you know of what I speak.

Brookie kept saying "It wasn't Kona's time yet". It wasn't as if Kona was just at the end of his life and ready to go,dying of natural causes, no, Kona was ripped from Brookie's heart and home, leaving her to feel empty and alone.

My Brookie has always loved animals from the time she was a tiny girl. At one point, she thought she wanted to be veterinarian. I am so sad for her right now.

My sweet Brookie, I will be sending you the little cat angel, that you see in the photo at the top of this post. Please put it somewhere that will remind you of the love you and your Kona shared. Kona will be your little angel cat now. I love you sweetheart!



6 comments:

The Old Painted Cottage said...

I'm so very sorry to hear about your daughters cat.

oxox
Jennifer

Simply Debbie said...

DEAR KATHY,
I AM SO VERY SORRY ABOUT KONA.
BROOK MUST JUST BE BESIDE HERSELF. SOME PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT TO LOSE A PET IS LIKE LOSING A MEMBER OF THE FAMILY.
I LOVE THE CAT ANGEL YOU FOUND HER...MAYBE SHE CAN PAINT THE CAT BLACK AND IT TRULY WILL REMIND HER OF KONA.
I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU BOUGHT THE ANGEL CAT AT....I HAVE TWO CATS AND 1 DOG....AND THEY ARE JUST LIKE MY CHILDREN....I WOULD JUST BE SOOO VERY SAD.
MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOUR DAUGHTER.
BLESSINGS
debbie

Grandma Honey said...

I'm sure Brook got much comfort from just hearing your voice and talking to you...something you and I both miss being able to do with our moms, huh?

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

I am so so sorry. I don't know what to say but I want to express my sympathy to your lovely daughter. My cats mean so much to me. . .tears running down my cheeks.
I have a dear one named Spirit that is all black also. He is dear to my heart.
Sending blessings and love to Brook.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jocelyn said...

Oh my goodness, I am sad for her. I saw on her Facebook about this but hadn't known the cause of Kona's death which makes it even harder. :( Sending you virtual hugs Brookie!

Related Posts with Thumbnails