Sunday, February 15, 2009

Portrait of a Child


Remember the silhouettes that you used to be able to get at Disneyland, or a department store that would have a silhouette artist come for the day? It seems to be a lost art. I can remember watching the artist's skillful hands as he would make tiny cuts in some sturdy white paper and make our profiles come to life. I found the one you see above on a wonderful blog called The Vintage Moth.
The two silhouettes you see below were done at Pacific Ocean Park, in Santa Monica, back in the fifties, when I was about eight years old and my sister was 10, so actually it was the end of the fifties.




The silhouette below is of my oldest and middle daughters. By the time I had my youngest daughter I was unable to find a place to have hers done.

6 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

Yes I do remember these! I have one when I was about 8-10..not sure where it is now. It must have been the thing to do back then.

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

I'm planning to get mine here: http://www.silhouettesbylena.com/

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

Thanks for the tip on where to get your silhouette done.

Unknown said...

Great blog! Thanks for stopping by. See you soon!
♥Jen

Yolanda said...

My kids had a 6th grade teacher who did this with the help of a school projector. She did a silhouette of each of her students.

Chloe's Couture said...

Oh my goodness, I was just looking up information on silhouettes! I want to do a baby face on a baby shower invitation! I love the ones that you have posted!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails