
Here's my sister Nonie when she turned 25 in 1974, and my mother in happier days. Really her name was Leonie, we just always called her Nonie. We had an aunt named Leonie and she told me that when she was little the family called her Nono, mainly because she was always being told no and she came to think that must be her name, so when my sister came along,the name Nonie was a good fit, because she was, after all, named after my Aunt Leonie. Nonie has been gone now 31 years today. February 19Th she passed away after having brain surgery. It was by far the worst day of my life. Besides being my sister, she was my best friend for twenty-eight years. I still miss her terribly. You can tell from this old photo that she was full of life. She was a decorator, a gardener, an artist extraordinaire, a fabulous gourmet cook, she loved babies, and she was truly the best sister anyone could ever want, and I'm not idealizing her, I truly mean it. I love this photo of my mother, who passed away just less than two years ago, and my sister because they look so happy.
This photo was taken with my mother and my eldest daughter Amanda, who was three when my sister passed away. Nonie and I dreamed of living next to each other and having our babies together, but it wasn't to be. We did share a duplex briefly and she loved her nieces Amanda and Brook, but it was not her fate to have children of her own. My youngest daughter Lindsay was born about four years after Nonie passed away and Lindsay has Leonie as her middle name. I still feel her presence. I've always felt Nonie had something to do with me living next to Amanda and my three grandsons. She was known for praying for parking places so whenever I get a good parking place I know she must be nearby.This picture was taken at a picnic, shortly after I married and left home.
This picture is how I remember my sister as a kid. I love the dimple in her chin. My youngest grandson Harrison has that same dimple in his chin.
I love you Nonie and I hope you and Mom are whooping in up in heaven and decorating my mansion for me before we are reunited someday!



11 comments:
I am overwhelmed by this post. Not only seeing Nonie again, but let me explain. Last night I had a dream about her. Just last night! I can't remember what happened in the dream but I remember waking up and thinking that I just dreamed about Nonie. I had no idea this was the anniversary of her passing. I've just never kept track of that day. When I woke up from that dream I made a mental note to email you today just to tell you....but before I did I saw this post!
I know that was the worst day of your life. You two were inseparable. You were a set, a pair. Nonie and Kathy. It felt so good seeing pictures.
What wonderful pictures! I'm sure you have some of these pics framed around your house! I hadn't really known how/why Nonie died.
Hi Kathy! I am really enjoying your blog-come drop by mine and pick up 2 awards!!!!
Hi Kathy,
Just come to my blog-right click to save the pics and then recopy them in a new post of your yours. You can also add them as a gadget so they show up on the side of your blog or however you want to arrange them. Then pass them on to someone and let them know by leaving a comment on their blog. You deserve it!
I am feel so privileged to have inherited Nonie's beautiful name. You really have allowed your sister to live on in your life and in the family that you have created. Talk about a decorator, a gardener, an artist extraordinaire. Look in the mirror, Mom. Love you.
What beautiful photos. I will always be grateful to have met Nonie when you both came to visit us. It certainly doens't feel like it was more than 31 years ago. By keeping Nonie in your heart, she will always be with you.
your last comment brought tears to my eyes honey...they are definitely decorating up there!
This is a really touching post. It's so evident how much you cared for your mom and sister.
beautiful tribute to dear Nonie!
A good friend of mine passed this post on to me. My 40 year old sister, my best friend, my confidante, the person who I lived only a mile from, died 01/09/10 only 8 months after her second cancer diagnosis. Her first round with cancer came in 1992 and she was cured. Our kids are 2 years apart and not one second of one minute of one hour of one day goes by that I don't miss her and wonder how I can breathe without my soul. I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister. I was lucky enough to have had my sister for 2 years after I became a mother. Her son is 5 years old and I'm lucky enough to have him most of the time so our kids are still growing up together but I still get angry that we weren't able to do this together. Thank you for writing this post.
Nonie was amazing. I didn't have a good friendship with either of my sisters. Separation hurts, but not for eternity :-) Thank-you Jesus
Post a Comment