Thursday, March 5, 2009

Be an Angel

Here I am with my dad, when I couldn't have been more than a year old.



Below you will see my garden angel. I purchased her to commemorate my father's passing. I also planted a Crepe Myrtle tree, but we no longer live in the house where I planted it, so I'm really glad I bought this angel. Though she is very heavy she can be moved from place to place and wherever I take her, when I see her, I remember my father.

My father and I didn't know each other very well until the end of his life. My parents divorced when I was only two and it was a difficult divorce, as all divorces seem to be, for the children involved, at any rate. What I do remember about him is that he had a great sense of humor, even if it was a bit crude at times. I was familiar with his sense of humor, even as a small child, but became reacquainted with this side of him late in his life. I will be eternally grateful for the reconciliation that we were blessed to have only a couple of years before he passed.

He died in August of '98 and I suppose I could have saved this post for then, but I've been thinking a lot about him lately, and being out in the beautiful weather we've been having I pass by my angel quite a bit, my constant reminder of God's grace and my father's love, of which I wasn't certain until I was in my late forties. I never really believed he loved me until my Aunt June's funeral when he initiated a conversation that literally changed my life. As we talked he was holding an orange in his hands, that he had picked from a tree whose branches hung directly over where we were sitting. By the time he finished telling me of his love for me he had completely squeezed the juice out of that orange and it was dripping down his hands onto the ground. This picture of my nervous father trying to get across to me that he did love me became indelibly marked in my brain forever, and I'm so thankful for this memory.

20 comments:

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Very touching. Thanks for sharing this. My father died when I was 8 and it's a hard thing to lose a dad so young. God is gracious and stands in the gap. His love is sure. Linda

Grandma Honey said...

This made me cry. You had told me about that day before but I didn't quite know the details of it until reading this. What a blessing to know this before he passed. My mom use to say to me when your Dad was sick and living with them, "All he cares about is Kathy." Then she would tell me how at the end of our lives we hang onto what mattered the most to us...and since you were his only living child at the time, it was YOU.

Ldy ~~ Dy said...

Your thoughts moved me...it is good that you were able to connect with him. The part of your story where he is holding the orange in his hand...very touching. I recently lost my sweet dear brother and my emotions since his passing are hightened but in a way it helps me to connect easier now to others and their loss or sorrows, happiness and joy. By the way I loved your garden angel. I bought a little garden angel too! It also brings me comfort! God Bless!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

What a sweet story! My family has been through divorce and it is hard on the children. What a wonderful memeory to have of your dad. Have a great weekend...Debbie

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a beautiful story about your father! It's wonderful you got the opportunity to reconnect and get to know each other again. The angel is beautiful and you have lovely memories of you Dad!
Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. Thanks for taking the time to share such a tender story.
XOXO
Jillian

DesignTies said...

It's wonderful that you and your dad were able to reconnect so well, even if it took you many years to get there. Your orange story is very sweet -- it must've been a great moment for both of you.

Take good care of your angel!!

Kelly @ DesignTies

Diane Gauthier said...

thankyou for sharing this Kathy, good thing it's my prep period, because my tears are running down my face.

joyh82 said...

Aww what a cute picture and a beautiful garden angel!

Chloe's Couture said...

What a lovely tribute to your father! And what a blessing that you got to know your father before his passing-that was a divine appointment!

Yolanda said...

How well I remember that day. You and your father were in our back yard and we were peering through our living room window. What a beautiful site to see the two of you reconnecting in plain view of your family. I will never forget it.

Song of Surrender said...

Thank you for sharing about your dad, Kathy. I'm so glad you were reunited with him and had those years before his passing. When our parents are growing older it seems we all soften and communicate in ways with them we may never had before. Wonderful memories!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

I just discovered your blog, what a beautiful tribute to your father and the love you all were fortunate to share. Even late in life God brought him back to you, what a gift.. Your angel is a wonderful memorial to him.
hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy! If you want to hear that silly song - go to YouTube and type in The Kitchen Sink by the Pipettes - it's a hoot!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Everydaythings said...

beautiful post that brought a tear to my eyes, as I lost my dad two yrs ago. We had a wonderful realtionship but whatever it is, its your dad and your tribute to yours was so sweet. I love the angel. I never thought of planting a tree or anything. thanks for the idea.

Xazmin said...

This post made me get all choked up. I'm so glad for you that the 2 of you were able to get close before he passed away.

My parents also divorced when I was 2. I was lucky enough to have my mom remarry 6 years later to the man who adopted me and is now my dad. I was so lucky to never really miss out on having a father in my life.

Simply Debbie said...

DEAR KATHY,
I JUST DISCOVERED YOUR BLOG....I LOVE THE TITLE OF IT.
TEARS....TEARS....SUCH A HEART WARMING STORY ABOUT YOU AND YOUR DAD. I AM SO HAPPY YOU WERE REUNITED BEFORE HE PASSED...SO MANY NEVER GET THAT CHANCE.
YOUR ANGEL IS VERY BEAUTIFUL AND UNIQUE.
BLESSINGS TO YOU
HUGS
debbie

Jewel Sauls said...

I am so happy you and your father were able to connect and you now know that he always loved you. Your garden angel is a fitting reminder of him and his love. :D Jewel

Anne Marie said...

It always soothes the soul to reflect on our loved ones who have passed- and what better way than with nature....
Irish Blessings-
Anne Marie

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

I am so glad that your Father could say it in words. So many people, especially men in my experience, cannot verbalise their love. You are a lucky one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails