Monday, November 2, 2009

A Thirty Day Experiment

Having given a lot thought about what I can do to change how I feel, I have decided to embark on a thirty day experiment of recording what I eat. I am not saying that I am going on a diet, because clearly diets rarely work. I am proposing to myself to be conscious of every morsel that enters my mouth and how I'm feeling when I eat. I know this may seem like a self indulgent challenge, but I want to learn about what makes me tick. Over the last fifteen years I have let myself gain so much weight that I hardly recognize myself when I look in the mirror.

In 2007 I hired a personal trainer for about five months and I joined a gym and I exercised four or five times a week with very little to show for all my effort. When I couldn't afford the trainer anymore I continued to exercise on my own for about a year. Granted I dropped a size, but when I allowed myself to be weighed for the first time in a very long time I became extremely discouraged. Then my husband lost his job and I returned to the work force and though I love my job, with working, comes a whole new set of challenges and stresses.

With every passing year it becomes more and more difficult to lose the weight, but I haven't given up, hence, this is my newest idea to make a change.

I got up this morning and worked out for the first time in a very long time. I had to do battle with the voices in my head that seemed to say "it doesn't matter if you sleep in and skip today". Somehow, I managed to win the battle with my own head and overcame my inner sloth!

The experts say you must walk at least ten thousand steps a day in order to lose weight and they aren't talking about to and from the refridgerator or I would have been skinny a long time ago.

The following is what I ate today. I started the day with oatmeal and berries, which is what I eat most morning, if I'm not eating cheerios. I have one cup of coffee every morning and no sugar, but I do have to have my half and half .

Once I'm at work I drink Ginger Peach Decaf tea, a lot of it, never with sugar.
The monster that takes up a good portion of our break room is a big challenge. Most days I just simply don't bring any money to work with me.


For the last few months I was eating Fuji apples for a snack, but I got tired of apples and have since moved on to pears.


Lean Cuisine is what I take to work most days. It's easy. I haven't become tired of them yet, but I'm sure I will. Lean Cuisines keep me from eating too much bread, which I love.


Night time is when I have the hardest time. It's when I just want a bowl of ice cream or cookies.
I know, I know ... pizza is full of fat, especially with pepperoni, but I only ate one piece and I had a delicious spinach salad with butternut squash and apple cider dressing, a recipe from Ina Garten's cooking show. It was fabulous and very satifying.

Doesn't this salad look yummy. Mr. Honey wasn't impressed, but I loved it.


I just want to feel good. Gone are fantasies of looking like I'm twenty ever again. I'm a point in my life where I just want to live longer and healthier.
I won't bore any of you in future posts with a minute by minute report of what I'm eating, but I might bore you with how I'm feeling, so feel free to skip the next month of my rambling, because I'm doing this totally for me.





5 comments:

Amanda said...

Go, Mom, Go!! You can do it! And it DOES matter!

It was Skate Day, so I had pizza and root beer for lunch. Then I dug all the Halloween candy I pilfered from your bowl out of my purse and finished it off.

Tonight we left an offering of candy on the porch for the Department of Gnomeland Security. I will not have access to junk tomorrow. *sigh*

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Kathy, you can do it! I'm so proud of you. I had a lot of success a few years ago with losing weight. As per my naturopath's suggestion, I substituted sweet potatoes for bread and had that as my complex carb. It worked for me. I also don't eat white potatoes. I had plain, Stonybrook yogurt every morning for breakfast, too. I ate sensibly, but I cut down my portions.

I'm pulling for you! You go, girl!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Grandma Honey said...

I realize I am just one person, but I am totally and completely fascinated by what people eat each day. Especially people I know, like you. I would love to know what you eat for 30 days but I'm sure you wouldn't have time to record it all. However, I have read that we would all pay much more attention to what we eat if we were to keep track of it. I started doing this a few days ago. I write it all down. I'm also doing this so I can go back for ideas...sometimes I just can't think of what I want. I come up with some odd concoctions, like your spinach salad, that I love and want to remember.
Good luck! Please keep us posted.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

You are on the right track and that is the first step! I am on a diet right now and Lord knows I hate diets! I am doing weight watchers and the thing about it is writing down what I eat, which you are doing too! It makes me accountable I think, so hopefully I can get to a feel better size! I also know that the size teenies will never be again and I am fine with that! Comfortable is where I am trying to go!

Lou Cinda :)

Jasper said...

How inspiring Auntie K! I joined an online food tracker/support group called My Food Diary a couple years ago and used it to lose 20lbs...then I gained 5 back and shortly thereafter got pregnant (!) but I learned a lot about how and what I eat (carbs and grazing) and taught myself to only eat when I'm hungry and make the best choices I can. I also learned that fat isn't evil, there's no need to feel hungry, and the more I exercise the more I can eat.

I am so proud of you! I bet you feel better already :)

Loves and kisses,

Jasper

Related Posts with Thumbnails