Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Costumes of Years Gone By

While going through photos from my past, I realized that I don't have many photos of Halloween. The photo below was taken when I must have been about three years old. I, predictably, was dressed in a clown costume, while my sister, the braver of the two of us was dressed up as the scary witch.

In my vague memory of that Halloween, I recall seeing my sister for the first time in her costume peering at me, from outside the house, through into the living room window. I think if my mother could have given me valium to calm down after seeing my scary witch sister, she might have. Keep in mind my mother, to her dying day, didn't believe in any kind of medication. I was, needless to say, terrified.

All through my sister's short life she was fascinated by horror films and I wouldn't have anything to do with them. She, on the other hand, thought seeing the movie "The Boston Strangler" was a far better choice than, let's say, "The Yellow Submarine" starring the Beatles. The YS would have been my pick. You know how people say that it is uncanny how animals fit their owners? Well, I, of course, have a cat that is afraid of her own shadow....l.o.l.

Below is a photo of my first born standing next to my middle daughter. I was pregnant with my third daughter when this photo was taken. I thought they looked adorable as cow girls. There was no peer pressure to arrive in a Pottery Barn cupcake costume when my girls were little. Costumes weren't as elaborate back then as I recall.



Below is a photo of my youngest daughter, on the far right, with two of her friends from grammar school. Lindsay is wearing her grandmother's glasses from the fifties (with the lenses popped out) and a poodle skirt I made for the occassion.


We're missing last year's pictures of my grandsons, but two years ago they dressed up as a hobbit, a ninja, and a lion.


8 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

What fun to see these costumes, Kathleen. Your stories were funny! My mom didn't sew, so we usually had the drugstore variety (all plastic and surely flammable back then) until we were old enough to fashion our own.

I was incredibly lucky with my first two boys; they had a cousin just a bit older and oh, could my SIL sew. Those costumes were incredible and passed down to my boys. I was very lucky!!

Thanks for the great memories and whatever you do today, I hope it's fun & spooky!! ;-)

xoxo
Janie

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

It is such fun to dig out all the old pictures and enjoy them all over again. These are all adoreable and I'm sure such wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Marty

Jasper said...

Such cute pics!

And funny that you mentioned the PB cupcake costume because I wanted that for LW, except she isn't big enough! Maybe next year.....

Rhonda said...

Happy Halloween Kathleen! Thanks for visiting me! I just love those old halloween pix, what great memories...

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Kathy, loved seeing these cute pictures. And you're right, costumes have become much more elaborate and expensive. I think we had just as much fun dressing up in far less elaborate garb.

There were some real cutie pies through our neighborhood last night. Loved seeing what they wore.

I love that pic of your girls in their cowgirl costumes. Darling outfits! And those could be worn and enjoyed again and again.

If you really want a shock, go to one of the costume stores and see what they have there. I went with a friend who is a teacher who had to have something to wear to Trunk or Treat, and we were both stunned. Everything was so provocative... from the teenage clothes to the ones for people our ages... just so suggestive. Even costumes for Dorothy were short and low cut. I'm not easily shocked, but I was after seeing what they had to offer.

Hope you had fun this weekend...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy! You poor thing, being scared by your scary sister. I'm probably older than you, but I do think I remember that witch mask. You look so cute as the little clown.

Your daughters look so cute in their cowgirl outfits and well as the teeny boppers.

Your post was just filled with memories.

Thanks for the visit and
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Donna said...

Oh, Kathleen, I love those photos! The one you you and your sister is precious! How funny - you sound like my sister and I except I'm the one always trying to drag her to see a scary movie, even to this day!

The poodle skirt photo brought back memories - I made one in blue for my oldest daughter back in 1995... How fun to look back at old photos.

I had to laugh when reading your comment last night, becuase while reading how you were inspired about my sidebar weight loss tracker, I was muching on leftover halloween candy.. Not very wise of me since I typically go to a Monday weigh-in!!! And as you can see, I have taken a couple of months off from going to meetings/weigh-ins and during those periods I can definitely see the difference in weight loss - there is none!

Have a wonderful week!!

Donna

Grandma Honey said...

I especially love that picture of your girls in front of your house. They are darling, but so is your house. Love your porch!

Oh and you and Nonie...priceless!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails