Have you ever heard of a knit-wit? I don't mean the mindless sort of nit-wit either. In Martha Stewart's December issue of Martha Stewart Living there was an article about a little tool called the knit-wit. I was thrilled to finally know that the tool my mother used in the fifties, to make this gorgeous dress that you see my daughter Brook modeling
, actually had a name. I had talked about this tool with a friend of mine, whose mother also owned a knit-wit and her mother used hers to make flowers to decorate packages with.It must have taken my mother hundreds of hours to complete this beautiful dress, made of purple silk organza ribbon.
I love the story of the time my mother was out dancing and her beautiful dress became entangled in her dates tie tack. Does anyone wear tie tacks any-more?
I really wish I had a photograph of my sweet Mama wearing this beautiful piece of art, back in her hay- day.
She would be so thrilled to see her granddaughter wearing her lovely creation. I bought my daughter a vintage slip to wear under it in a pale blue. My daughter is 6' tall and my sweet mother was only 5'4". Because my darling daughter Brook is so slender it was only the length that would have been a problem. My mother wore this dress with a deep purple silk organza slip. I remember thinking she was quite the vision of loveliness when I was just a little girl. This is an heirloom piece that my daughter has already worn to several very important events. You can click on the article from Martha's December issue if you want to read more about the knit-wit.
Thank you Martha Stewart for this wonderful article about what I thought was a lost art!


7 comments:
What a beautiful dress on such a beautiful girl! Your mother had quite a talent. Yes, that dress is a piece of art! It's such a shame you don't have a picture of your mother wearing it as well. You could frame both pictures side by side.
I've wondered if you have seen any change in your clothes size or on the scale yet. I have been doing great with my diet and have exercised regularly for the past 2 weeks but nothing yet for me. I don't feel or see a difference yet, kinda disappointing but I'll keep at it. Like you say, it's a lifestyle change.
Linda,
I have not seen a change yet, except that I do have more energy. I am more determined than ever and refuse to give up! My main goal is to get healthy from the inside out.
Sounds like you are doing a great job on your healthy eating diet. I need to do better with mine. My weakness is most definetly french fries. And with 4 teenagers whom eat fast food alot, it's hard not to nibble on a few too.
We're still pulling for you, Kathy!
And I love that dress. How beautiful, and it is modeled by your beautiful daughter. She is a vision! Neat that it is an heirloom being passed down.
XO,
Sheila :-)
I was so hoping you saw the article in the Martha Stewart Living magazine! I intended to call you but saw your blog.
Have a good week!
I think I've seen Brook in that dress at one of the special occasions. She probably feels close to your Mom when she wears it.
Your daughter looks so lovely in that very special dress. How wonderful that you still have it. I'm glad she has the opportunity to wear it now.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Warm blessings,
Spencer
Post a Comment