Monday, November 29, 2010

Best Gingerbread Cookie Recipe Ever!

Every year since my daughters were little it was our Christmas tradition to bake a gingerbread house and decorate it and then wait until Christmas to eat it. Now that I have grandsons, this activity has been lovingly passed on to them.

Yesterday was my daughter's thirteenth wedding anniversary, so while I was watching the boys, when their parents went out to celebrate, we decorated a homemade gingerbread house. You won't see it in a magazine because it's far from perfect, but to my grandsons it's a little piece of heaven. I'm sorry I didn't get more pictures of them decorating it. It was so joyous to see their faces light up with excitement at their masterpiece!

This recipe is absolutely the yummiest recipe for gingerbread cookies too.
1 cup butter softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 egg (cage free)
4 tsp. grated orange peel
2 tbsp. dark corn syrup
3 cup sifted flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. salt
Cream butter & sugar, add egg, beat until light & fluffy. Add orange peel & syrup. Stir in dry ingredients. Form into ball, and chill at least one hour. Roll out and shape. Bake 6-10 minutes, at 350 degrees, cool & decorate.
The recipe for the frosting is just powdered sugar, milk and a little light corn syrup. You want it to be a nice heavy consistency, so just play around with how much milk and corn syrup you add.

3 comments:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a wonderful and sweet tradition. My mother baked gingerbread houses with my younger sister and my kids. I cheated and bought a beautiful one from "Buyers Choice" about five years ago -- love putting it out each year.

Blondie's Journal said...

We bought a kit one year and had the best time! I guess that is sort of cheating but it was so much fun!

XO,
Jane

Robynne's Nest said...

Hi Kathy, lovely to meet you, thanks for visiting my blog. I just love that red door...have a few photos of similar doors I found around U.K. Your blog looks great...will drop by and visit when things slow down here. Robx

Related Posts with Thumbnails