Mom had a tiny one bedroom apartment but she always made us feel as if her walls would expand if we wanted to bring friends. She was a massage therapist by profession for Elizabeth Arden's for years, so when she had an especially big crowd for Thanksgiving she would pull out her massage table and put a large piece of ply wood on top and bring out her nicest linens to accommodate everyone.
The table was always lovely. There were fresh flowers and healthy snacks to tide us over until the turkey was ready and pretty candles to grace the table. She loved her grand-daughters and on this particular occasion she invited our friends to join us. The little friend on the far left is now grown with children of her own. My mother made such an impression on her that her mother now goes by the name Omie to her children. Omie is German for grandma. She made everyone feel so special they just called her Omie too, as a term of endearment.
You will see me at the far end of this Thanksgiving table, pregnant with my third daughter at the time.Below you will see my three girls a couple of years later, after the birth of my third daughter. I loved to dress my girls up for Thanksgiving and make the two hour trip to Omie's house. We were always grateful that she loved to cook for us and loved spending time with us. This photo was taken in her small garden just outside her door on another very special Thanksgiving holiday.
My girls are all grown up now and we don't always get to spend Thanksgiving together, so I will always be eternally grateful that my mother gave me memories to pass on to my own children and grandchildren. The trek to Nana's house isn't so far anymore, as I live right next door to my grandsons. Thankfully, my mother passed on her love of cooking to my daughters and I still don't have to cook Thanksgiving dinner... L.O.L. I will, however, be setting the Thanksgiving table for dinner and doing all the dishes!Hope all of you out there in blogland have a truly memorable Thanksgiving!


5 comments:
Many Thanksgiving blessings my dear friend...I also lost my mama in May o7...sighs..Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria
Your memories are so sweet! I enjoyed hearing about your mother...she was a special lady who enjoyed doing special things for her family and it doesn't get any better than that!
I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving, Kathleen. You have SO much to be grateful for!
XO,
Jane
how sweet your photos are! have a beautiful Thanksgiving with your family!! susan
Only in California would you have the window open on Thanksgiving!
I especially love the picture of your girls in their little matching dresses. Love this post Kathy!
Oh the memories.
Love the pictures, it's so fun to think back to our past and what we remember as little ones!
Happy thanksgiving!
XO
Kristin
Post a Comment