Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Christmas Cactus

Over thirty years ago my sister gave my girlfriend a Christmas cactus. It was just a tiny little plant at the time. It has been transplanted several times, I'm sure. When my friend Sybil decided to move to New York from California after college she gave the tiny Christmas cactus to her mother for safe keeping. Sybil's mother loved plants and flowers of all sorts and had a very green thumb! When Sybil's mother went to join my sister in heaven last May, Sybil gave the plant to me. It has come full circle. With the onset of cooler weather, my Christmas plant is now in full bloom. I can't help but think that Sybil's mother and my sister are looking down from heaven feeling very pleased. I have heard the Christmas cactus is a very hearty plant and difficult to kill. Thank goodness, because I know I don't have the green thumb of the previous two owners. It really fills my heart with joy that it is now blooming in time for Christmas!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

how sweet! they are really lovely plants. i'm sure they would indeed be pleased! hope all is well!! susan

Blondie's Journal said...

This is a sweet story and made me tear up a bit. And Christmas cactus' are SO pretty. I hope it lives a very long time!

XO,
Jane

Designs on 47th Street said...

Oh that IS a sweet story. I enjoyed reading about the "roots" of your Christmas cactus. Funny, I was thinking about telling my Christmas cactus story on my blog too. :)

Donna

Jocelyn said...

wow!!

momof3girls said...

I always feel bad when I hear that someone was able to keep a Christmas cactus alive! I have managed to kill 3!! 3 ! I am happy you have figured it out - it looks beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails