The purple dress you see my daughter wearing in the photo above was lovingly made by my mother in the 50's. It is comprised of silk organza ribbon flowers that have been crocheted together to make this timeless treasure. I found the blue slip she is wearing under it at an antique store. Since you can't see the dress in its entirety I should explain that the slip she is wearing under it has about 5" of lace attached to the bottom of it and it peeks out under the length of the dress. Brook now wears the dress with a pale blue satin sash. I think my mother would be so pleased to see how lovely her granddaughter looks wearing it. My daughter Brook has my mother's small frame, even though she stands six feet tall.When my mother passed away I searched through her things to see if I could find the tool that she used to make each flower, but to no avail.
When I was having lunch with a friend, we got to talking about these flowers and the dress, and my friend told me that her mother had also had a similar tool that her mother used to make flowers to attach to packages, when my friend was growing up. I can see this tool in my mind's eye. It was about 3" in diameter and had a small knob on it to turn. There were spokes that portruded out from the center where you could wrap the ribbon around each spoke before turning the knob to secure it.
I have written to a vintage company to see if they had ever come across one, but no one has responded. If anyone has ever seen one or has any information on it, I would really appreciate hearing from you.


2 comments:
That dress looks so familiar to me. Have one of your girls worn it somewhere before that I may have been? Or perhaps I have seen it in pictures of yours. What a classic.
Jill, Maybe you saw my mother wear it or perhaps you've seen this picture before.
Post a Comment