Monday, January 5, 2009

I Want My Mama!

Funny how many of my childhood memories revolve around food, but they do.

Today I was in bed all day with a chest and head cold. It's 5:30 p.m. and I just now took a shower. Maybe I would have gotten out of bed sooner if my mother were still here. She used to run to the Hamburger Hamlet on Rodeo Drive to get me some onion fondue soup when I got a cold as a kid. It was one of the best things about being sick. The Hamburger Hamlet closed it's doors in Beverly Hills several years ago, but you can still go to MiMi's and get a very close replica to the onion fondue at the H.H.

I can remember being really little and Nonie and I both getting colds and my mother would bring home a big bag of oranges and leave them by the bed and instruct us to eat as many as we could.
She was kind of a health fanatic, but she had a fun side too. Lots of times she would just bring us a giant Hershey's bar if we were sick. That was the best, maybe that's why I still crave chocolate today, I was raised to think chocolate had a medicinal value. Surly it does, don't you think?

Mom was nobody's fool though. If she had any inclination that we just wanted to play hookie so that we could stay home and watch our favorite soap opera she would disconnect the television cord and take itwith her to work. L.O.L. However, she still let us stay home just in case we weren't fooling.

Anyway, when I'm feeling under the weather, I just want my mommy!

3 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

Oh I hear you. I always want my mom too when I'm sick. She would bring over casseroles or soup. I just had to mention I was sick and she would be over with dinner that night. I love the bag of oranges story. That was more the way I mothered to my sick boys.

Diane Gauthier said...

Feel better soon! Sorry to hear you are sick, I've been feeling a bit under my normal level today too...a bit dizzy...but what else is new?

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

Hi Annie, Hope you feel better soon too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails