Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Holidays are Over

Today was a relatively quiet day with not much going on. Richard left Friday morning early for Johnson Valley on a jeep excursion, so I took advantage of the dark and rainy morning and slept extra late.

Amanda came over around 9:30 for coffee and we had a nice visit, both of us avoiding taking our Christmas trees down. It's always a little sad when Christmas is over and all the decorations get put away. The house feels blah and all the liveliness from the lights and company die down. It was Amanda's and my plan to get it done today. She followed through, but I didn't.

My friend Judy, from Tacoma, came to town because her mother took ill shortly before Christmas and isn't doing so well. Though the circumstances are difficult, it gave Judy and I time to catch up. It's funny how there are certain people in your life that no matter how long it's been since the last time you saw each other it feels like it was only yesterday that you were together. Judy is one of those people in my life. We met when I was away at college and she came into my dorm room to visit with my roommate. We struck up a conversation and became the best of friends, in what seemed to be an instant.

I was glad to leave the tree up for at least one more day to be able to spend time with my friend, so we went to a local coffee hangout and visited for a while,until we decided to go somewhere else and get a salad. Judy's brother joined us and we sat for a couple more hours talking about the dilemma of caring for a parent that doesn't really want you to care. Having a long time friend to talk things over with is at least a small comfort.

1 comment:

Grandma Honey said...

Kathy, you and I are sure at the age where our friends' parents are getting sick and leaving us. It seems every time I hear of a friend going through this with a parent, I sort of relive it over again with my Mom. I'm sure you did the same with your friend Judy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails