Lists. Let's face it, we've all made them, even if only in our heads. January seems to be the month to, at least, consider making a list. Some people have a knack for list making, others of us struggle.
I'm a fly by the seat of your pants kind of gal. Spontaneous to a fault, I've always struggled with goal setting, routines, grocery lists, etc., but I do always seem to have a list of desires floating around in my head. It's not that I'm so random that I don't get things done, it's just that this year I have been making a concerted effort to change my life for the better. I want more direction and purpose in my life,so that I can quantifiabley know what I've accomplished, a way of knowing myself better, a way of taking advantage of my strengths and minimizing my weaknesses.
My children are grown and have left the nest. My parents have passed on, plus I am no longer working full time outside the home. I have more time to reflect on what I want. For a lot of people that is a "no brainer", but I have spent so much of my life thinking about what other people need and want that I sort of forgot what it was that I really wanted.
I have spent the last year and a half reflecting on my life thus far. I've sat staring blankly out the window just reflecting. I've had to put aside the list in my head in order to ponder the meaning of my life. It's been a good life, the life I created. I have so much to be thankful for, a loving husband, a beautiful family, a home I'm proud of, good friendships, my health. These things were all on the list in my head when I was just a kid. Gee, I didn't realize, my list has been with me all along.
Here's my new list: more time to celebrate life with friends and family, more opportunities to travel, more focus to continue getting in the best shape of my life, more good books to read, more crafty projects that inspire me, more little things that make me want to get up in the morning and greet the day, a more intimate relationship with my God. That's not too much to ask, right?
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
See your list was within you all along! You have accomplished what you wanted so now you are ready for a new list..which you have made. I can relate to this post because I am at a similar crossroad. My sister has asked me a few times, "So what motivates you to get up each morning?" ,meaning since I don't have children living with me anymore, then what else is there? I understand in a way her thinking that because raising kids is so all encompassing, and she is very busy in the midst of her kids lives right now. She will learn like I have that the empty nest is a new beginning. I love my new life. So many doors are open now because I have the time.
Yes, you've already accomplished much! And that's wonderful new list, Mom!
Post a Comment