It's been close to thirty years since I visited Sullivan's Island, the home to some dear friends who moved there in the eighties.I'll never forget when I arrived at the airport one August evening after a grueling flight. I am a Southern California girl and a stranger to the storms of the east coast, but when my dear friend's moved away I just had to go for a visit, not realizing, I probably should have chosen a different time of year to visit. Anyway the night I arrived they had one of the biggest storms of the season and I could see lightning ricocheting from the airplane. Whew! I was sure happy when I landed and was greeted by my friends.
Once safe in Howard and Vicki's house the storm continued through the night and I wanted to climb under the bed and hide. I've never been through an earthquake that frightened me half as much as that storm, but the storm did pass the the rest of the week was just as lovely as could be. The photo below is just how I remember the beach on Sullivan's Island.
My friends had been constant companions for my husband and I before they made that giant leap across the country. We had dinner together on a regular basis. Vicky is a terrific cook and she seemed to love spontaneous get-togethers which was a good thing because I wasn't much of a planner. We lived only a few doors down from each other when they lived in California. Vicky was a stay at home mom like myself and Howard was a professor at the local university. I'm sure Howard and Vicky could never know the grief I felt when they moved away. I find it is difficult to find friends where the husbands and the wives are as mutually connected as we were.
Here's Vicky on Sullivan's Island with her youngest daughter in tow. Vicky and Howard's girls are all grown up now as are my own, but I will cherish the memories forever.
While I was there they took me on a tour of Charleston and I was so impressed with the southern charm of that city.
Missing you Howard and Vicky...sending love to the girls!


1 comment:
I was thinking of Howard and Vicki recently when I read the book "South of Broad"! It is set in Charleston.
I'm so glad to read your post and see the photos. I always admired Vicki's understanding of vernacular style!
Post a Comment