Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Week to my Sister in-law & Friend



I met my sister in-law when I was only twenty years old. We had an instant rapport from the get go. In fact, from the time we first met, people thought we looked more like sisters than our husbands looked like brothers.

We had the pleasure of being newlyweds together. I'll never forget after Diane joined the family and moved to Bakersfield to begin her married life the amazing creativity and zest for life she brought with her. She carted her plants and all of her worldly possessions and began the work of making a home. Her cooking skills far surpassed mine and still do.

Diane's resourcefulness has always impressed me. Her creativity was evident from an early age, as you can see by the picture below, created by Diane when she was only five years old. As early as five, she was already designing her wedding dress and veil (she's the one on the left). She actually did make her wedding dress and she didn't stop there. She also made her groom the pants and shirt that he wore. And as if that was not enough, she also baked her own wedding cake.


As you see below, the vision of that five year old little girl was brought to life years later on her wedding day. There was no Martha Stewart empire back then to dictate how a little girl's dream would be fashioned. With the eye of an artist she entered adulthood.

Below is an old photo of the two of us paddling through Hart Park one very hot summer day.

We had our babies five months apart. She had her daughter first and was eager to help me when my eldest daughter was born. We shared a duplex and I was so sad when my brother in-law decided to move their family to Nashville.

Diane's artistic talent continued to grow as she pursued her love of art, eventually becoming an art teacher at a local high school.

We have had our adventures in life both separately and together. After my mother passed, Diane and I went to Germany (my mother's homeland). I do not know what I would have done with out my sweet sister in-law at that difficult time.

I'm hoping we will have many more trips together.

Happy birthday, Shatzee! I hope your birthday brings with it delightful surprises and much happiness!

8 comments:

Diane Gauthier said...

Hi Schatzi! I'm so honored you would take the time to tell a little about me to the world in your lovely blog!
You've started my birthday week off with just the right touch!
love you and here's to more travel and life adventures together!

Grandma Honey said...

In that first picture of Diane, she looks like June Lockhart! How wonderful to have such a great sister-friend.

PS I tried to comment to your last post a day or so ago but for some reason it wouldn't take.

Comeca Jones said...

How sweet that you share this bond with a sis-inlaw at that I love it!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Happy Birtdhay to your SIL!

Loved this trip down Memory Lane. Just wonderful!

XO,

Sheila :-)

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

What a darling post! And, could there be a better name? Shatzee.... OH my... I wish that was MY name!

Huggies,
Spencer

freddeduke said...

I love how sentimental you are! so much like me really....and I thought of a blog of mine that you will relate to....but I'm so not tech savvy...lets see if this works
http://www.channelingthefoodcriticinme.com/archives/228

Amy Arnaz said...

Kathleen~
Your story about Diane has inspired me to one day write about my sister-in-law. I have never really thought about blogging about her before. The connection between you and Diane is wonderful. You must have thanked your brother over & over for bringing her into your family. Sending a Happy Birthday wish to Diane with hopes for many, many more. xoxo Amy

Brook said...

Oh, Mom. You really know how to pull those little tears to the corner of my eye. Tears of sweetness, of course! It's so lovely to see how the two of you grew up together. And you're still dancing! (Where's the picture of you two getting down at Dad's 60th?) : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails