
When my sister was about ten and I was about 8 my mother would pack our swim suits and get us in the car and drive us to a hotel called the Surf Rider Inn. Being the glamorous woman that our mother was no one questioned her about us being guests of the hotel. She just walked in like she owned the place so her little girls could go for a swim. We loved her for it, even if she was being a bit naughty.

I Googled Surf Rider Inn and found this vintage photo of the place that gave my sister and me such pleasure on hot Saturday afternoons. I will always cherish those memories!
8 comments:
Hi Kathleen~
The Surf Rider Inn? Was that in Del Mar? Not sure. Back then we all wore bathing caps to keep hair from clogging the pool filters! Can you imagine attempting to make women wear bathing caps today at hotel pools? I remember swimming at the pool at the Sahara Hotel in Las Vegas in the late '50s with a bathing cap on. I hated it. Regardless, a very cute photo of you and your sister. Kudos to Mom. ~ Amy
WHAT A WOMAN YOUR MOM!!!! And what a cool place! As children, this would have been an adventure to remember, and so it has been for you! Thank you for coming over to my post yesterday! Oh how I am dreaming of the beach..those crisp aqua colors of the beaches of Nice France...oh là là....HAPPY SUNDAY! Anita
LOVE this story and your mom ....
thank you so much for sharing!
xo,
Kim
What a cute story, Kathy. Three cheers for your mom! I feel sure that two very cute/sweet little girls plus one glamorous big girl were a good advertisement for their hotel! So it all comes out in the wash, or in this case, the pool! ;-)
XO,
Sheil :-0
Hi Kathleen,
Just wanted to write and say that I love your blog. I have similar memories of going to a hotel pool and wearing swim caps when I was a child. My family and I went to the same hotel in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, each year. Good memories. Wanted to also say I love your tributes to your mother. I lost my own mother in 2008 and can relate. Your mother sounds like she was a fabulous woman. Have a wonderful day, Kim
These are sweet memories. Your mom sounds wonderful. I remember those bathing caps...I thought my mom wore them to keep her hairdo in place!
XO,
Jane
For sure your Mom was so glamorous that the others probably thought she was a movie star with her 2 little girls.
I've never understood what happened to the caps. Rules use to be so strict, if you didn't wear one no way could you get in a public pool. They have been a thing of the past for decades now...I wonder why. Not that I ever liked them.
Post a Comment