Sunday, April 3, 2011

Anybody Remember Wink Martindale and P.O.P.?

When I was a kid a popular D.J. and dance show host was Wink Martindale. He went on to host T.V. game shows and various things, but he got his start in radio. I think I was 10 years old in this old photo standing next to Wink. The photo was taken at Pacific Ocean Park (more commonly known as P.O.P.)

Add Image
My sister is on the left and I am on the right in the photo below. P.O.P. was a twenty minute drive from where we lived. We loved the rides, especially the one where you kind of spun out over the ocean. It was terrifyingly fun!


When I Googled P.O.P. I found this great old video on You Tube that made me feel the thrill of my youth all over again.

4 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

Of course I remember Wink Martindale. Is he still living?

That man who narrated the film...I think he was the same one who narrated all the films I ever saw at school back then. His voice is a classic.

Privet and Holly said...

Love this, Kathleen!
And weren't you two
just the cutest??
I always loved the
Scrambler ride and it
is one of the few that
I will still ride, today!
xx Suzanne

Debby said...

We must be the same age. Your posts bring back so many memories. I grew up in LA and knew POP well. It was a great place. I also remember Wink, and yes, he is still alive. I recently saw him on a PBS show, and he still looks great. Thanks so much for bringing back all these great memories.

Priscilla said...

Oh, yes, I remember Wink Martindale. His children went to the same school as my daughter.
I love your blog. I have been reading it and enjoying it so much. We lived in Orange County. Seeing your pictures are making me remember all those good times.
I'm looking forward to reading more and enjoying your blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails