I have lovely memories of my mother getting my sister and I out of bed at the crack of dawn to go to the Hollywood bowl to the Easter sunrise service. It was dark and cold, but she assured us it would be worth it to see the sun come up and celebrate the wonder of Jesus having risen from the dead. She would take a thermos of hot chocolate and blankets to keep us warm until the sun came up. Afterwards, Mom always took us to the Pancake House for a breakfast of crepe Suzette's. I really don't know where she got the energy after working hard all week to provide for us. I am much lazier than my mother was, and I'm not sure I properly appreciated all of her effort until now. I wish I could tell her one more time "thank you" for all of her effort to insure we would grow up with faith and mercy and a belief in "Someone" greater than ourselves. What a gift she gave my sister and me.
Of course, she dressed us in cute Easter outfits and there was always an Easter basket to hunt for and a chocolate bunny waiting for us, but all of that was just icing on the cake, compared to the example she set for us as a woman of faith.


3 comments:
What a wonderful and bittersweet post, Kathleen! I have many of the same memories with my mother. She was such a hard worker, raising seven of us and asking for so little.
Wishing you and your beautiful family a wonderful and blessed Easter!
XO,
Jane
Sometimes I think we have to be in our 50s before we really appreciate what a good childhood we had...and the sacrifices our Moms made for us.
The faith your Mom instilled in you will carry on for generations to come...just look at how your grandsons are being raised!
Kathleen~
I absolutely identify with the wish to say Thank You! once more to my mother. Like you, I don't know how she did it. Have a wonderful Easter Sunday. Your post made me a little weepy. xoxo Amy
Post a Comment