
About two years ago, I met Jack La Lanne in person at the Bayside Cafe. He was dining with three lovely women and he lit up the room with his effervescent personality. Mr. Honey and I had just finished eating dinner and we were thinking about ordering the berry cobbler that the Bayside Cafe is so well known for. Then I saw Jack La Lanne walk in the room and at first I wasn't sure it was him. I whispered to Mr. Honey, " I think that's Jack La Lanne that just walked in". He said, " I think you're right".
He sat down at the table right next to ours and we couldn't bring ourselves to order that berry cobbler. It was as if our conscience had just walked in the room. He asked me what he should order and I think I told him the salmon. He was adorable. He made me feel like I was the only woman in the room when he talked to me. I remember him getting up and greeting all the other patrons in the cafe and spreading his inner joy throughout the room. It's funny how one human being could touch the atmosphere with his mere presence. I asked him if he still exercises everyday and he said, "I do exercise everyday and I hate every minute of it" and we all laughed.I remember thinking we should all live life with such gusto and passion.
The photo above is of Jack when he was very young.


3 comments:
Kathy when I was a young girl we lived in Alameda,Ca and Jack lived next door to us..I use to try and sell him girl scouts cookies each year, His wife always bought my cookies ha ha!! Woderful man and will be missed..hugs and smiles Gloria
What a sweet man, I would have been thrilled to have him seated next to me. He looked dynamite in his old age as he did when he was younger. I'm glad you told us more about this nice gentleman.
XO,
Jane
I have memories in the 1960s of my Mom getting her chair and soup cans ready because Jack LaLanne was coming on!
Post a Comment