Saturday, January 8, 2011

Days Long Gone


Who isn't familiar with the Grauman's Chinese Theater. When I was a kid I got to see the original Parent Trap with Hayley Mills at this fabulous theater. After the movie was over, my mother would take us to Denny's for a burger.



It's amazing to me that when I think about growing up a great many of my memories are associated with food. I guess that says something about me...L.O.L.

One of my fondest memories is of my sister and I being taken to a place called Trader Vic's as kids (no, not Trader Joe's, Trader Vic's) for dinner. Trader Vic's has locations in a lot of different cities, but this one was in Beverly Hills on the corner of Wilshire Blvd. and Santa Monica Blvd, in walking distance from our apartment.

Tahitian or French Polynesian food is known throughout the world because of its exotic fruits, fresh fish and vegetables which are prepared with a strong French influence underlying the Tahitian ingredients. Trader Vic's has a distinctively Polynesian decor and as a kid I thought it was totally exotic. My favorite part of the dinner was when the waiter brought out a bowl of huge fresh strawberries with a bowl of sour cream and brown sugar for dipping. Yum.

I also have fond memories of taking long walks into town from the apartment we lived in growing up. We would discreetly peek into the windows of apartments and houses where the lights were on just to see what kind of decor people had. We would make a game out of guessing what the parents of those families did for a living. Our destination was always the same ice cream parlor called Wil Wrights. They had the most delicious hot fudge sundaes served with real whip cream and a little macaroon cookie that was wrapped in a darling little envelope with the cute little angel on the front that you see below.



And then, there was the Hamburger Hamlet where I spent all my babysitting money on the weekends where we would order burgers and cherry cokes. I believe there are a few Hamburger Hamlets still in existence, but all my favorite ones are now gone.

When my sister and I got colds or just didn't feel well my mother would run out to the Hamlet and bring back the Hamlet's onion fondue soup and egg custard lulu to make us feel better. My mother firmly believed that onions have some magical healing powers and the egg custard had lots of protein from the eggs, even if it was smothered with whip cream and graham cracker crumbs.

The custard below is missing the yummy topping, but you get the idea.
One of my mother's clients was Mrs. Helms from the Helms Bakery empire. I will never forget visiting the house that the family had lived in since their children were born and admiring the family heirlooms and pristine antiques. It made quite an impression on me.

The best thing about the Helm's Bakery was the truck that came around after school everyday in my neighborhood.

This is just how it looked.
The truck was always filled with delicious cream puffs and eclairs and donuts to delight any child appetite.
When I wasn't busy eating I played a whole lot of jacks. In fact, I played for hours on end...just loved that game.
Besides playing Jacks I loved stopping in the Beverly Hilton Hotel to buy gum that looked liked little nuggets of gold. I could pretend I was rich and had won millions panning for gold during the Gold Rush.
Remember these~
Every Saturday my mother had to work privately, after working a forty hour work week to make ends meet, so before my mother went off to see her private clients, she would drop my sister and I off at the local laundry mat to do a weeks worth of laundry. It made my sister and I feel very responsible and grown up.

Mom was no dummy though, she knew how to motivate us. She either gave us money to get a donut at the bakery next to the coin operated laundry mat or she gave us a bag full of donut holes like the ones you see below.

Remember the Beach Boys song that went something like "when her Daddy takes the T-bird away"? Well, my girlfriend had a T-bird, like the one you see below, when we first learned to drive. Eventually, the fun stopped when my girlfriend committed some infraction of the rules and her Daddy did take that T-bird away. Parents were really strict back when I was a teenager. Boo hoo!

The girl standing next to me was my friend that I played Jack's with all the time. To the right of me is Troy Donohue standing next to my sister. He was the teenage heart throb of my day.

I think the car we are standing in front of is the same make and model of the pink Cadillac you see below.

15 comments:

Amanda said...

Yum!! Love it, Mom!

Kathleen said...

Hi Kathy!
I have never been to CA. Loved your little look back. I guess we had NY versions of those things, Horn and Hardart, Krugs and Dugan home delivery of cake...always looked fwd to that!
Happy 2011! I am sure it is snowy where your dau lives now. My son went to college there for 4 yrs. He loved it!

Seawashed said...

Oh you are so darling in that pic in front of the caddie. I love those good ole days! Sorry I haven't been by in a while. Merry merry and happiness in the NEW year. I hope you and your family are well. I was thinking of you when I strolled through Pottery Barn at the Roseville Galleria during the holidays. What a fab place to work!

Blondie's Journal said...

This is a great post, Kathleen! I really enjoyed hearing about your childhood and growing up in Beverly Hills...We didn't have many of the same restaurants here in the Midwest, but we do have a Trader Vic's in Chicago that I went to after prom in high school. I have heard of Hamburger Hamlet, but not Wil Wrights. I would die for the egg custard though!

XO,
Jane

Grandma Honey said...

I remember walking with you to the next street over from your apt (or close by anyway) where you had some jewelry (a ring?) on layaway. I was fascinated that you could put money down on it and then keep paying while they would hold it for you. I loved the street you lived on. I wish I could go back there and see how it is now. I've never seen that picture of you and Troy Donahue. Wow.

I think your mom was onto something with the onions. She was before her time.

Grandma Honey said...

Also, I don't remember Trader Vic's but I do remember this couple you knew who ate EVERY meal out. I thought about them lots through the years and I use to envy that they could do that. But every time I am away from home for long, and have to eat all our meals out, I think of that couple again and I'm glad I'm not them. Eating out grows old fast.

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

Jill, I remember the couple you are talking about very well. Their names were David and Judy Brilliant. They also had a coca cola addiction like you could hardly believe. They played tennis every single day.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Kathy, YOU HAVE JUST TAKEN ME DOWN MEMORY LANE...Trader Vic's?CHECK! HELMS BAKERY? CHECK! THE CHINESE THEATRE and Haley Mills in the Parent Trap? CHECK!!!

What a sweet post! And thank you for your visit yesterday! Anita

Diane Gauthier said...

oh my goodness...Kathy, your story inspires me...we need to write and illustrate a book with these memories!!!!!

Debby said...

I can't believe it! I grew up in LA and remember vividly the Helms Bakery truck. What memories that brought back. I hadn't thought about that in years. Thank you so much.

Melissa Miller said...

Kathleen the way you described all of the food and the places to eat was just amazing. I felt like I was right there with you. You are a gifted writer. Thank you for sharing your stories and for making me hungry. Yum! :)

Diane Gauthier said...

Your mother created a wonderful world of experiences for you and Leonie.

Privet and Holly said...

LOVE that
last picture
the most, K!
What a sweet
and wonderful
post. I think that
you were a child
at the absolute
best time to be
one in the good
'ol USA. Precious
memories of a
precious girl : )
Thanks for sharing
them with us!
xx Suzanne

freddeduke said...

that was just a perfect walk back in time, and I loved the music that goes with it...made it like watching a great film...thanks for leading me to this today! I was living a parallel life
Fredde

freddeduke said...

that was a perfect walk back in time, including the great music that goes with it which almost makes you feel like you just watched a great film...thanks for leading me here today...it's like we had parallel lives!
love, Fredde

Related Posts with Thumbnails