Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Family Tree

I found the photograph below here at Design Mom. This family tree was being offered as a Mother's Day giveaway and I found this family tree to be one of the prettiest family trees I've seen.

Have you ever thought of where you've come from, in terms of your family history?

My daughter and I have spent the last two days on Ancestry.com researching our family history, mostly on my fathers side of the family.

Just a couple of weeks ago my cousin David told me that my father's side of the family came to America from England, and all this time I thought my father's side was French. That is partially true, because my grandmother Leonie's family was from Pyrenees, France, but my grandfather Romeo was from England. With a name like Rozier (I always pronounced it Rose-ee-ay, thinking it was a French name), but the rest of my fathers clan, including my father, pronounced it Rozeer. I've always been a little rebellious like that. Well, I stand corrected.

A while back, I met a woman on the phone (I'm a customer service rep for William Sonoma) who had an e-mail address with the name Rozier in it and when I told her that was my maiden name she got all excited. She was from Virginia and told me the Roziers used to own the land Capitol Hill stands on. I don't know about that, but it does appear my father's family goes back to the 1600's in North Carolina and in Virginia.

The most interesting bit of information I found was that my 15th great grandfather,on my father's side was Sir Lancelot Threlkeld. I'm related to a Knight! How cool is that?

I can't wait to see if I can find out more about my mother's side of the family.

11 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

That is a beautiful tree. Good luck on finding all of your family. That is so fun.

Grandma Honey said...

Wait a minute. It IS a french name. It looks like one and it sounds like one. Romeo's parents or grandparents must have come from France....no? I like the way you pronounce it better than the way we do. Isn't Gauthier a french name too?

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

Jill, the Roziers are English. Leonie Labarth was French. Gauthier is French, just not the Roziers.

koralee said...

Wow...I so agree with you that tree is stunning.

Have fun finding your family. I have done a bit of family hunting myself. xoxox

Rue said...

Hi Kathy :)

That IS a beautiful family tree! I've been researching my family for about 15 years. It's really fun but so time consuming.... kinda like this here habit ;)

Have you been to: http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

They're free and have a lot of great info too.

Have fun and Happy Belated Birthday!!

rue

Maillardville Manor said...

That is definitely the prettiest family tree I've ever seen, I love family history I find it so interesting. How do you like ancestry .com? I've been meaning to try!

Grandma Honey said...

So can we be sure that the original Roziers did not come from France? I'm glad you are doing research because I am fascinated by all this.

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

Jill, Grandma Leonie was the only French one in the family and yes I'm sure that the Roziers came from England.

permanent magenta said...

I have a couple of family members who are into ancestry.com, I love hearing what they dig up. I think it speaks to our pack animal nature that it feels so good to tap into our larger history. --But you made it so Pretty!!

Kara Ward said...

Swoon...
The tree is just beautiful.
Try Ancestry.com-
Sending you hugs!
Kara

Jocelyn said...

I am just now seeing this. Yes that tree is amazing! Is it something you can order with all the names put in or did someone just do this all by hand?

Related Posts with Thumbnails