Tuesday, December 2, 2008

How Do You Find Inspiration?



The other day I was in Starbuck's with my daughter Amanda. I was struck by the simplicity and beauty of what looked like handmade Christmas wreaths. Knitting seems to be all the rage these days and, of course, Starbuck's being on the cutting edge of what's popular, had on display the most unusual balls of yarn, made into wreaths. Anyway, I got the idea for an easy Christmas craft, balls of yarn for Christmas tree ornaments. Amanda said that yarn can be very expensive, but then I noticed, the Starbuck's wreaths were actually made out of styrofoam balls covered with just a bit of yarn. So, I went to Wallmart, bought some cheap knitting yarn in red & green & some gold crochet yarn, some styrofoam balls, some traditional Christmas ball ornaments, and some straight pins. I took the little hanger dohickies out of the glass ball ornaments to use to hang my styrofoam yarn balls from, and proceeded to wrap each styrofoam ball with green yarn, followed by red yarn, followed by gold yarn, using straight pins to secure the yarn. I then attached the little hanger dohickies, I had removed from the cheap glass ball ornaments, to the balls I had wrapped with yarn. I put the glass ornament balls in a crystal bowl for decoration and I will add pinecones to that later. And so you have it , I have completed my first holiday craft.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

They're so cute, Mom! :)

Grandma Honey said...

I didn't get the creative craft gene. Probably came from your Mom. Those little yarn decorations are so cute...I remember your houses of the past....you and Nonie were the authors of cute! I love seeing what others come up with though. I'm on my way today to a craft boutique.

Yolanda said...

Very clever Kathy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails