Monday, December 8, 2008

Cous Cous Anyone?


A very long time ago, my husband began buying pre-prepared cous-cous at Trader Joe's. He was taking it to work for lunch everyday, despite his co-workers teasing him relentlessly. "Is that all you eat for lunch?" they would say. "Pretty much," he would reply.

My daughter overheard him tell his cous-cous story and she told him he should have me make it for him. "It's so cheap to make, Mom", she said, "and so easy." I thought I was doing well to go to the store and buy him the ready made kind, but then after giving it some thought, I decided to try. Wow! It couldn't have been simpler, and much better than the store bought kind, if I do say so myself.

If you can't eat wheat, you can subsitute the cous-cous with Quinoa.

All you do is add one cup of lemon juice to one cup of chicken broth and six tablespoons of olive oil and bring it to a boil, add two cups of dry cous-cous to the boiling liquid, turn the flame off, cover with a lid and let sit for 5 minutes. That's right, just five minutes and it's done. Then the fun part begins. You can literally add everything you like, except the kitchen sink.


I like to rinse canned black beans in a strainer and canned corn, as well, and add it to the cooked cous-cous. I chop red, yellow & orange peppers (one of each) and add them next. I add a small jar of sun dried tomatoes, drained, some chopped red onions, chopped basil, one cup of cherry tomatoes cut in half and salt & pepper for added flavor. Subsituting basil with cilantro is also very good.

This big bowl of cous-cous will feed my husband lunch for a week. Best of all, he loves it and brags about me to his co-workers when they tease him about eating cous-cous everyday.

7 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

I never knew what to do with this stuff. I would just make it and serve it with butter as a side dish. I like your idea so much better...why didn't I think of that. Black beans make everything good. Okay, now I know what to do. Thank you!

Grandma Honey said...

Update: I made this last night and loved it! However when I went to get your recipe I noticed that you have a whole cup of lemon juice in it and I was wondering if that was a misprint. So I just used chicken broth and then added lots of lemon at the table. I put in the black beans, red pepper, peas, corn, and red onion because that is what I had. I will be making this often. I just love how you can cook up the pasta so quickly and then start throwing things in. Thank you!
I hope you share more recipe ideas.

Diane Gauthier said...

YUMMM! We love couscous at our house, so easy to fix, and great for camping!

Diane Gauthier said...

oh...it's pretty much 1 cup liquid to 1 cup couscous, right? I also add 1-2t olive oil to the water.

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

POOR RICHARD

Hee hee. Just kidding. That cous cous looks amazing - thanks for all the stir-in ideas!!

Diane Gauthier said...

Ok, I have a question: how MUCH couscous (the whole box? 2 cups?) to the 1cup lemon juice and 1 cup chicken broth?

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

O.K., O.K., two cups of dry cous cous. At least I didn't say a little of this and a little of that. I'm going to have to be much more careful with my recipes in the future. I have gone back in and edited this recipe. Thanks for your patience. Kathy

Related Posts with Thumbnails