Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentine's Day - the Bitter and the Sweet

Valentine's Day has always been bitter sweet for me. The sweet part was meeting Mr. Honey and getting engaged on Valentine's Day and still being in love after 38 years of marriage.

The bitter was taking my only sister to the hospital on Valentine's Day 32 years ago and losing her to a brain tumor just 5 days later. She will be gone more years than she was alive this coming Saturday, but there is not a day that goes by that I do not miss her.

Below is a photo of Nonie dressed up for my wedding...she was my only brides maid. I still remember how she looked that day, so happy for me and there to support me as I took a giant leap into adulthood. It meant everything to me that she loved my soon to be husband and gave me her blessing.
Nonie was always my protector growing up...I think she thought at times that she was raising me, despite the fact, my mother was always in charge. I grew up feeling like I had two mothers. It feels natural for me to think of her now as my own private guardian angel.

I get a little blue in February. I was really having a bad week, missing both my mother and my sister something terrible. I've only had a few dreams about my sister since she passed 32 years ago, but last week, when I was really missing her, I had a dream and she came to me in my dream. I knew in my dream that she had passed on, but she looked as alive in my dream as she did at my wedding. She told me she knew I missed her and she wanted me to know how much she loved me. The dream was over in a flash, but I didn't wake up wishing I could go to sleep and continue the dream. I woke up deeply comforted. It doesn't take a lot of faith for me to believe she is watching over me, I know she is.


7 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

What a sweet sweet post. I know you two were inseparable. I can still picture Nonie sitting in our living room on Fairmont in the rocking chair...laughing. She had a unique unforgettable laugh.

I am certain she does stay near you and your girls. How wonderful that she came to you last week.

Jocelyn said...

Oh that is a wonderful dream. I am tearing up for you now my sweet auntie. ((hugs))

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

A sweet tribute to your sister. Certainly she was taken far too soon. So glad for the blessing of comforting dreams and memories.

maryjones232808 said...

Thank you Kathie, for those pics. I miss Leoni too, I know nothing like you do, but still long to see her each time I walk into Sears. I am so thankful for your dream and I cannot wait to see what our loved ones are seeing. Mary

maryjones232808 said...

Thank you Kathy for those pictures and the memories. How sweet of our Lord to let you be comforted by Leoni. She is still the sweet person I knew for way too short a time. I still miss her each time I walk into Sears. I feel as if I was touch by her through your blog. Allmost took my breath away. Mary

Privet and Holly said...

I'm blinking
back the tears,
Kathy, as this
touched me so.
I am sorry that
you've had a
tough week and
can absolutely
see why. How
lucky, though,
to have had a
sister and one
you were so close
with, to boot.
No doubt that she
and your mom, both,
are watching over
their dear Kathleen.
Sending you big hugs
today. I loved the
pictures that went
with this post!
xx Suzanne

Allyson Pecilunas said...

I just found your blog through Melissa's page. I am now following along I look forward to reading more. Come check me out if you get a chance.
Noplacelikehomeally.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails