I found this pretty little angel in Carmel when I was there, on a trip, to reflect on my father's life after he passed away in August of '98. He was born on July 11, 1927. This angel beckoned me to buy her and take her home with me. I kept telling myself she was too expensive. I went into the shop where she kept calling my name, in fact, I must have gone back into that little shop ten times before deciding I must have her. She sits perched on my back porch and reminds me of my father and the reconciliation of the little girl within and a father who desperately wanted to make things right after many years of absence. I will always be thankful for the second chance I had to feel my father's love.No matter the absence and the feelings of abandonment I felt as a child, I will always remember my father with kindness. Happy Birthday Dad!


11 comments:
What a nice post. I love that planter. It is so pretty.
I'll never forget how my Mom would tell me during the last months of your Dad's life that THE very most important person to him was YOU.
You are not going to believe this, Kathy... but my father was also born on July 11th! He was older than your dad, but he was born that very day! NEAT!
This was a very sweet tribute.
XO,
Sheila... who is up waaaaay past her bedtime! ;-)
Kathy, your words about your dad and love and loss and reconciliation bring tears to my eyes...the little girl longing to know her father's love and eventually coming to accept that love as an adult, however it came, is poignant...
thankyou for expressing those deeply personal thoughts
Aww, Kathleen, how sweet! Isn't it something how love can make a difference - no matter what! This is a sweet little angel. I'm so proud for you that you were able to be with him in his latter years!
Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
My mom had a similar story to your own. Her dad never should have gotten married and had a family ~ he really wanted the bachelor life and she didn't have much of relationship with him once her parents were divorced. But, she came to accept him as he was, and I think there is peace in that. Sounds like you have found it in your relationship with your dad, too....
xx Suzanne
the angel is so beautiful! the world seems more empty when our parents die.
a sweet tribute.
What a sweet post...you are an amazing daughter.
Happy Monday. xoxox
Such a beautiful post and I adore the angel. Be well Dear.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~
Hi Kathy! What a precious tribute to your dad! I too have things that I purchased after my dad passed that remind me of him and they are truly precious every time I walk by them. They put a smile on my face to this day reminding me of him. Hugs friend! ~CC
I think it's so wonderful how you focus on the good and forget the bad!! So wise! This is a very nice post! What a great way to remember your dad!
Post a Comment