Saturday, July 17, 2010

Be My Guest

I've never shown you where my friends and family stay when they come for a visit, so here it is. The guest bath has a wall with words that evoke what I would like my guests to think about when they stay with me.

I've never really had time or money to go in and do a complete overhaul on the guest bathroom, so I've simply worked with what I've had. We did put new tile behind the bathtub because there was only a painted wall. I love the added detail with the black rope tile. That was an expensive decision at $7 a tile, but well worth it.


Fortunately, when we bought this house, I really liked the little antique dresser that the previous owners put in.




I purchased the bed below when I worked for J.C. Penney's and I got an amazing discount, paying only $400 for the bed. The painting above is of my mother's father which I inherited when my mother passed away three years ago.

I'd love to change out the bedding but since that's not an option right now I just bought a monogrammed pillow to suffice.

The painting above the trunk which I've had since high school is of my grandfather's mother on my mother's side. I'm so thankful to have these precious paintings of my ancestors.

There's an old chair in the corner that I threw a quilt over and an armoire that I keep all my sewing supplies in and a desk that had belonged to my father which I did a collage of photos under glass to make it my own.

The dresser in the corner was taken from an apartment I lived in when I was a newlywed and the apartment had been sold.

It's a guest room that is also used as a sewing room when we don't have guests and also a place to fold laundry because it's close to the mud room.
It's not updated or fancy, but I do want my guests to feel like they have a comfortable place to rest.

13 comments:

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Good Morning Kathy...Girl I would feel so special being a guest in the wonderful room...I love that bathroom and the sink turned dresser I have that same tile in blue in my kitchen and the dresser turned sink in my bathroom also...What a beautiful space you have made my friend...I pray all is well in your world today and each day...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I think it is just lovely. You have added such wonderful and homey touches to it and it just says welcome all over. Great family heirlooms and so inviting. I know your guests must feel very special there. Hugs, Marty

Grandma Honey said...

Ohhhhh....That bed! Love it. The reds are so striking too. The music playing on your blog goes with it all so beautifully.

Karen Mortensen said...

Looks wonderful to me. I love the bathroom vanity. I just love that look. The bedroom is wonderful too.

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh Kathy, what a charming and inviting guest room! You are such a great decorator and have a great eye for detail! I love all that you did, I am sure your guests love it too!

Have a happy day!

Nancy

Jasper said...

As a guest of that room I can attest to its homey comfort and antique charm! You have quite the styled/dialed in house auntie! You should be very proud of all your work!

Mise said...

That's a very inviting bedroom and bathroom, and full of character. Guests must feel very welcome there.

Privet and Holly said...

Having just stayed in three different B&B's in Savannah
recently, I'd say this sweet
room ranks way up there on the
pretty and cozy scale! And,
I always LOVE ancestor paintings!
Just wish there'd been some in
my family to inherit : ) Thank
you for the PB tip ~ I never
knew about the unadvertised
specials! How fun that we both
were drawn to that lamp shade!
xx Suzanne

koralee said...

What a lovely room....your guests are very lucky indeed.
Hugs for a happy new week. xoxo

cathy said...

i love love the dresser! and i think the tiles in the bathroom were definitely worth it as well :)

Love the Decor! said...

It looks very warm and inviting!! When can I come for a visit ? : ) That sink in the bathroom is beautiful!!

Melissa Miller said...

Kathy it is beautiful! I adore the colors and the precious rooster. It's a lovely room for your guests. I know they enjoy their stay.

Have a wonderful weekend.
~Melissa :)

Maillardville Manor said...

So Lovely! Anybody would feel more then comfortable there!! I love the quilt and the shower curtain!!!! It's all very beautiful!
~Ashli
www.maillardvillemanor.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails