On May 14Th I made a journey to Beverly Hills where I grew up because the mother of a dear childhood friend was on her journey to the next world.
I have posted this story below before, but felt that to honor my friends mother I would post it again. My friend Sybil's mother left this world the afternoon of May 17, 2010. She would have been 89 in July.
In the photo below my mother is on the left and Sybil's mother, Dr. Elfrieda Sever, is on the right. They were two glamorous babes in their hay day! Two German blonds on very similar paths.
I was so glad I took this trip to see Elfrieda over Christmas when she was still well enough to enjoy a visit.
This is what I wrote after our lovely visit:Yesterday I took a trip to Beverly Hills to visit my friend Sybil's mother, Dr. Elfrieda Sever. You see her in the picture above, on the right, with my mother on the left. Elfrieda (I called her Dr. Sever when I was growing up) and Sybil, her only daughter, spent many a Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrating with us.
Sybil and I met when we were just 15 years old. We lived on Young Drive and Sybil and her mother lived on Durant. We met in cooking class. Sybil was new to Beverly Hills, moving from San Francisco. As we all know, moving away from friends and all that is familiar when you are fifteen is no easy transition. I liked Sybil right away, but she had an instant distrust for me, thinking I was much too sweet to be for real. Ah well... she knows the truth now. I really have always thought of Sybil like a sister and I believe she thinks of me that way too.
Our mothers were both from Germany and both single. My mother had worked in San Francisco when she first worked for Elizabeth Arden. They had a lot in common. We introduced them and they became quick friends. They spoke German to each other and so much of the information I was anxious to hear about their adult lives was hidden from me. So, they both remained mysterious and glamorous, with their blond hair and their distinctly European ways.
It's truly wonderful to still have friends that know my history and share my story.
Sybil lives in London now, and has her very own glamorous life, but her mother still lives in Beverly Hills and is so far away from the daughter she holds so dear. After losing my own mother in May of 2007, I have a new appreciation for my friend Sybil's mother. Most of my mother's friends are gone now, so it was especially meaningful for me to share a little holiday cheer with Elfrieda.
When I first arrived, Elfrieda was just at the end of having a lovely massage, by a masseuse that Sybil hired, to make sure her mother was properly pampered. She told me the masseuse comes once a week. What a luxury! My mother would have definitely approved.
Elfrieda took great pride in showing me the latest, beautifully hand embroidered tablecloth she was working on. She showed off her beautiful orchids and told me she couldn't live without flowers. She had me look at the beautiful bougainvillea and wonderful Meyer lemon tree she was growing in pots on the balcony. Her lemon tree had twenty lemons ready to pick. I was so glad, because I wanted to bring her lemons off my tree, knowing she loves lemons, but they weren't quite ready to pick. We had tea and strawberry cake together and then she became a little tired. She had, after all, just had a relaxing massage.
Rest in peace, dear Elfrieda
Rest in peace, dear Elfrieda


10 comments:
This is a beautiful post, Kathleen. It is like a chapter has ended. I'm glad you had the chance to see Elfrieda while she was well. What a coincidence that they both passed in May. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
xoxo
Jane
Oh how sweet and how very beautiful they both are in your picture. Now they're reunited in heaven.
Hi Kathleen,
What a sweet tribute to your Mom and Elfrieda...
Hi Kathleen! Oh, what a sweet post. Aren't you glad you got to visit with Elfrieda (I like her name)? The photo of her and your mother is so sweet. They were two elegant ladies.
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)
lovely post. it is wonderful that you were able to keep in touch til the end.
Kathleen, what a dear daughter and friend you are. Both your mother and Elfrieda are so proud of you, I'm sure. I think you will like my post tomorrow, as it is inspired by beautiful spirits such as these. I love how Elfrieda could still appreciate the simple yet lovely things in life even towards the end of her time here on earth....like orchids. Thank you for sharing her story! xx P&H
I do wish life was still like that. My mom was best friends with all the neighbors, as were we kids...it just isn't so anymore. Friendships/relationships are so far and few between in this fast paced, constant moving world. Noone stays in one place long enough to make lifelong friends. I really truly wish it wasn't so. And look at your mom and her friend's style. Wow. Not today unfortunately.
Kathy, I'm so glad you shared this with us. And what lovely ladies they were. I'm glad you got to spend that time with her before she passed. That generation is very special.
I lost my own mother twenty years ago, and have just passed the anniversary of her death. I will certainly be thinking of you with your own loss (both losses) and am sending you a warm hug over the miles...
XO,
Sheila
this is so sweet and hearfelt. how wonderful that you have such fond memories of these two special women in our life. hugs, susan
Kathy, I am sorry to hear the news, I hope Sybil is feeling the love coming from Oregon. I know you are giving her tons of support. I'm so comforted knowing how your lives are connected. Having a friend who knows you since your youth has deep meaning! I'm so glad you could be with Sybil this momentous and difficult week. My sympathy and love to her!
Post a Comment