Today is my Uncle's birthday and yesterday his family threw him a fabulous 80th birthday party. His clan was all there to wish him the happiest of birthdays. His great grandchildren sang him a precious birthday song. We ate Mexican food and lots of cake. Even the weather was perfect.I have some precious memories of my Uncle while I was growing up. First of all, my uncle has always had a fabulous sense of humor and he was always playing practical jokes and making all the kids laugh. He is still making us laugh. As you can see from the sun visor that he is wearing (complete with the fake gray surfer hairdo) that it is clear he can laugh at himself. This is a very endearing quality.
He has always been a great family man and terrific role model. I remember my visits to see my cousins and my uncle getting up before the crack of dawn to go running. He would come home and make us breakfast after his run. At night before bed we would all kneel around my aunt and uncles bed and he would lead us in prayer. This simple ritual has a powerful effect in a child's life.
He and my aunt kept my sister and I connected to my father's side of the family. He always welcomed us into his home for long summer visits, even though he had eight of his own children to care for, there was always room for us. Can you just imagine the noise level? That's love!
I remember one trip to family camp where I became very cold and my uncle gave me his pull over sweater to wear by the camp fire. I never wanted to take that sweater off. It made me feel safe and loved and I have carried that memory into adulthood. That is a very comforting memory.
Happy, happy birthday to you Uncle Dick!


5 comments:
What beautiful remembrance of you childhood. Last night was so much fun. We need to do that again.
Happy Birthday to your Uncle..80 years young...what fun. xoxo Happy New Week to you. xoxo
I had so much fun Saturday at the cousins' table! I'm so glad you were able to attend. Oh the memories and good times continue!
I love this man. He is so awesome. I am sorry I wasn't there. My husband and I went out of town. Glad it all went well.
Ah, this IS the STUFF that live is made of! I love all of your memories and how happy your uncle looks to be celebrating his 80th! We should all have an Uncle Dick in our lives. What a blessing. xx Suzanne
Post a Comment