
After two weeks of training for my job at Pottery Barn I was totally exhausted. Thankfully, my friend Mary, who I have been friends with since before my first daughter was born, invited me for coffee Saturday morning. Mary's house is a haven for the weary, for sure. When I first met Mary thirty four years ago, I thought she was elegant, refined and the most talented homemaker, with an eye for beauty. That hasn't changed, she is all that and more. Mary never seems to age. She is an old soul with a young spirit. Mary and I understand each other, like old friends do. We have more than a friendship, we have a spiritual connection. When we haven't spoken for a long time, it is never awkward when we do. In fact, we are often thinking of each other at the very same time. When I have Mary on my mind and call her she usually says, "I was just thinking about you" , and the same goes for me. I've known Mary for such a long time that I can just be myself when we are together and Saturday was no exception. When I was with Mary Saturday I asked (well, maybe I told her, if truth be known) that I brought my camera and I wanted to get pictures of her home, which I have come to associate with comfort.
Below is a picture of Mary's front window and the entry into her comfort haven.

The picture below is what you see on your left when you enter her door.
I wish I had taken a full view of her living room, but I was focusing on the details. Instead of having the normal living room filled with sofas and overstuffed chairs, Mary decided to have an antique round table with wicker chairs and a settee with beautiful decorative pillows.

I didn't get a good picture of her dining room, which Mary made into a reading nook with two very comfortable overstuffed chairs and this lovely secretary which sits opposite of her reading nook. She hung a drapery rod over the doorway to her kitchen and hung and swagged the drapery panel you see to the right of the secretary above.
In Mary's bedroom she painted three of the walls the most fabulous shade of green and one wall the most stunning shade of orchid.
The little bedside table below is meaningful to me, because I gave Mary this lamp, that once belonged to my mother, who passed away in May, two years ago. It is so befitting of Mary's style. I know my mother would be so pleased that is now belongs to my dear friend.
Mary's bedroom is very large and accommodates a very grand armoire with room to spare.
Below is a picture of Mary's front window and the entry into her comfort haven.

The picture below is what you see on your left when you enter her door.
I wish I had taken a full view of her living room, but I was focusing on the details. Instead of having the normal living room filled with sofas and overstuffed chairs, Mary decided to have an antique round table with wicker chairs and a settee with beautiful decorative pillows. 
I didn't get a good picture of her dining room, which Mary made into a reading nook with two very comfortable overstuffed chairs and this lovely secretary which sits opposite of her reading nook. She hung a drapery rod over the doorway to her kitchen and hung and swagged the drapery panel you see to the right of the secretary above.
In Mary's bedroom she painted three of the walls the most fabulous shade of green and one wall the most stunning shade of orchid.The real beauty of Mary's home is in the details, take for instance, this delightful pillow with the flower basket embroidered with ribbon, that sits a top her bed.
The little bedside table below is meaningful to me, because I gave Mary this lamp, that once belonged to my mother, who passed away in May, two years ago. It is so befitting of Mary's style. I know my mother would be so pleased that is now belongs to my dear friend.
Mary's bedroom is very large and accommodates a very grand armoire with room to spare.I'm just sorry that some of my pictures are blurred, but you get the idea.
I just love Mary's window treatment. There are little lavender crystal on the swag over the window that give the room an ethereal feel.
Mary's house is a ranch style house, probably built in the forties, but Mary has turned it into an English cottage. She was lucky enough to have the room to add a master bath, which you see below. I love the beadboard and the black and white tile, roomy enough to have a stool to sit on when you get out of the shower.
The photo below is the family room which is directly behind the kitchen. It is a warm and inviting room, which adds a feeling of spaciousness to Mary's home.
In the picture above, notice the dining table in the right hand corner of the photo. I didn't get a good full on photo, but this room also hosts their dining area.
This darling little corner hutch is in the dining area and sits beside a pass through into the kitchen.
This beautiful antique piece sits beside the sliding glass door, in Mary's family room, that leads into Mary's garden. The swing below is what you see when you look out the sliding glass door from the family room.


I just love Mary's window treatment. There are little lavender crystal on the swag over the window that give the room an ethereal feel.
Mary's house is a ranch style house, probably built in the forties, but Mary has turned it into an English cottage. She was lucky enough to have the room to add a master bath, which you see below. I love the beadboard and the black and white tile, roomy enough to have a stool to sit on when you get out of the shower.
The photo below is the family room which is directly behind the kitchen. It is a warm and inviting room, which adds a feeling of spaciousness to Mary's home.
In the picture above, notice the dining table in the right hand corner of the photo. I didn't get a good full on photo, but this room also hosts their dining area.
This darling little corner hutch is in the dining area and sits beside a pass through into the kitchen.
This beautiful antique piece sits beside the sliding glass door, in Mary's family room, that leads into Mary's garden. The swing below is what you see when you look out the sliding glass door from the family room.
Off the family room is the most luxurious guest bath. The photos really don't do it justice, because this rooms simply glows!














13 comments:
Kathy,
Your friend Mary has beautiful wood pieces. I love what she has done in her bathroom, very nice. I hope your new job is going well. Now that you are finished with training the real fun begins. Pottery Barn is a great store and they are lucky to have you. ~Cathy~
Hi Kathy,
You're right Mary's home is very welcoming and tranquil.
I feel it looking at all
of the lovely photos.
It feels peacful.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
I'm glad your PB training is over.
Have a blessed Sunday.
~Melissa :)
Your friend has a lovely home. You are truly blessed to have such a dear friend.
Hi Kathy,
Oh, thank you for sharing your friend Mary's lovely home! How wonderful to have had her as your friend for all this time. True friends don't come easy these days!
be a sweetie,
shelia ;)
Kathy,
Happy Sunday!!! What a wonderful friend you have!!! Her home seems so lovely and tranquil. What a wonderful place to take in a little R&R.
Good luck next week!!!
XOXO
Cathy
Hi Kathy :)
Your friend Mary's home is wonderful! I love it all, but as with all darling houses I'm always drawn to the kitchen and this time was no exception. It's perfect :)
Thank you to Mary for letting us visit!
rue
Hi KathY! How wonderful it is for you to share Mary's Cottage Refuge! I love the color of her Kitchen...it's very refreshing! I also love the antiques she has! The bedroom with the green & orchid walls is so pretty! ;) ~CC Catherine
Thank you for this tour. I just wanted to jump into this house. I've been thinking of the green/orchid walls since seeing this. I love all her extra touches.
Mary's home is warm and inviting. I am glad you have such a dear friend. We all should be so lucky!
Kathy,
What lovely pictures of your friend's home and what a dear friend she is to allow you to take pictures to share with us.
Hope your new job is going well for you.
Kris
Wow, I could never work at Pottery Barn - I would end up spending my entire paycheck there.
Old friends are just as beautiful inside and out as vintage furniture. I love when I call a dear friend and pick up the conversation where we've left off. Time just stands still with old friends.
I loved the tour of Mary's lovely home. I wished mine was that pristine! My favorites (of many) were the beautiful ribbon embroider pillow (on the bed) and the wood armoire.
Please thank Mary for the tour of her home.
Sweet wishes,
Sara
Hi Kathy! What a wonderfully cozy and beautiful home! I loved the tour! If you are looking for me, I'll be in the porch swing with some iced tea served in one of those green depression glasses! lol have a great weekend!...Debbie
PS...I have another blogger friend who works at Pottery Barn and loves it! I'm afraid that my pay check would never make it home! lol
Post a Comment