Several years ago my daughter wrote a Mother's Day tribute for an online magazine and then gave me a copy of what she wrote for my Mother's Day gift. I have carried that tattered copy around with me for years. Here is what she wrote:The same now-yellowed newspaper clipping has been taped to my grandmother's refrigerator for the past 15 years. My mom was out with my baby sister in a stroller when a photographer was on assignment to scout a sweet centerpiece scene for Mother's Day.
Young mother and baby out for a walk in the spring sun? Perfect.
I love looking through old photo albums at my grandmother's house. I love looking at my mother with her long, straight hippie hair, and my aunt, her sister--the one who played jokes on my mom from the time they were little.
Like when she hid in the bathtub behind the curtain and their cousins locked my mom out and flushed the toilet. "She's going down the drain!" they taunted. And my mother, just three years old, burst into tears. She was away from her mother for the week, her father had just left and now, in this strange house with these strange boy cousins, her sister had been flushed down the toilet.
I used to tell my friends that my mother almost strangled a boy who tried to kiss me after school in the parking lot in second grade. Actually,I ws trying to kiss him and he was struggling to keep me away by putting his hands around my throat. My mother, seeing this, leapt from the car where she had been waiting, grabbd the kid by the collar and proceeded to demonstrate on him exactly what she wouldn't allow him to do to her daughter. I thought that was the best story. The time my mom strangled my boyfriend.
I never wrote thank you notes to my mother. Mothers make you write thank you notes to your grandmother and your aunts and the kind neighbor who always remembers your birthday. But there's no one to make sure you write Mom one, too. Mothers know you love them, and that they gave you exactly what you wanted, so we assume the thank you is understood. And those are just the wrapped presents.
But then comes a moment when you realize there are so many thank yous that you forgot to say--that you couldn't possibly catch up. So many gestures big and small that you could write a note every day and always have more to say. Just the things she did for my wedding day alone outnumber the days left in this year.
A few weeks ago, I came home from vacation to find a formerly bare and ugly dirt patch in front of our house filled with Easter lilies, hydrangeas, begonias, azaleas, daisies and other sweet-scented colorful blessings I couldn't name, but thought beautiful. I knew immediately who the spring angel was. I called up Mom to thank her.
"Do you like it? she asked. "Did you notice right away?" She was as excited for me to have come home and found the surprise birthday gift as I was.
The best gift my mother gave me growing up wasn't the parties, the clothes, or the trips to take me my forgotten lunch bag. It was a sense of myself as a woman who wanted to be both strong and tender, independent and able to connect, angry at injustice and at peace with myself. It was the knowledge that I could be anything I wanted to be, including a wife and mother-if I wanted to, because they were good things to be.
And the knowledge that if I failed at any of those possibilities, she would not hold it against me, but would always be there to come home to, brush off the dirt and tears, and try again.
Happy Mother's Day! Thanks for everything! Love always, Amanda


24 comments:
What a lovely tribute! You are one lucky Mom!
Kathy, I am sobbing over here! Where's a Kleenex when you need one? What a sweet daughter. I hope I always stay close with my two Sweeties!!! Happy Mother's Day my friend. ~~Kim~~
Happy Mother's Day..what a sweet tribute. cherry
what a wonderful reminder! To stop and say thank you now! I hope you have a wonderful Mother day!
Ohhhhh that was totally precious. No wonder you kept it all these years. I love the newspaper picture of you pushing the stroller. Must be Amanda walking next to you. She really summed it up well why we don't send our moms thank you notes enough. I had never thought of it that way before so she has eased some of my guilt. No matter what we would write to our Moms it would never be enough anyway.
Very, very precious and special. I loved reading that.
Thank YOU for sharing such a sweet memory of yours.
ps...now that you are trained, are you likeing PB??
Cheering for you, Kathy, for the job you did raising a precious young lady who could and did write something this eloquent for her mother. It's precious, and so are you! And she is obviously a chip off the not-so-old block. :-)
XO,
Sheila :-)
What a WONDERFUL post. Thank you!!!!
Hugs,
Pam
This really touches my heart! You were so lucky to have her as a Mom, and she was so lucky to have you as a daughter.
joy c. at grannymountain
That was a lovely read. thank you!
That is a great tribute that your daughter wrote. I missed it the first time around, so thanks for reposting.
What a wonderful and loving tribute! I can feel the love you both have for each other and it's beautiful. Thanks for sharing this...Christine
GM My friend...I said it before and I'll say it again what a great post...may you have a wonderful Memorial day weekend my friend...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria
Hi Kathy....this is beautiful. What a lovely tribute.
Happy Sunday Favorites.
Barb
Hi Kathy...
Thank you so much for joining in with the fun of Sunday Favorites! WOW...what an awesome post to share once again with your readers!!! I just loved reading the article that your daughter wrote about and for you! As a mother, I just can't imagine any greater gift...seriously!!! I sure do hope that my daughters feel the same way about me! Thank you so much for sharing your special Mother's Day gift with us!!! It's so precious!!!
Hope that you're having a blessed and safe Memorial Day weekend, my friend!
Warmest wishes,
Chari
I truly enjoyed reading this post on Mothers! So sweet!
Priceless!
Absolutely priceless.
You must be so proud, but there is no doubt in my mind that you deserve every word of it.
Ahhhhhh...........I have a daughter too........this made me cry! My girl gave me a jar a few years ago, filled with sweet memories written on little bits of paper. It was my favorite gift ever. :-)
Warm blessings,
Spencer
What sweet memories you have! The one about going down the drain made me laugh!
Beautiful! What I treasure most from my son each year, besides spending the day with him, is the card he gives me...his words fill my heart to overflowing...just like this beautiful piece.
Susan
Kathy, love this so much! A gorgeous tribute!
XO,
Sheila :-)
Very sweet Kathy. I guess I should start composing my thank you letter to my mother. It might take a while... : )
~Misti
This is wonderful-absolutely wonderful.
I enjoyed your Sunday Favorite.
Come see me,
Laura
This totally made me cry. (It's Sarah, posting under Iris' account.) Your whole blog is so sweet Kathleen!
Love,
Sarah
Post a Comment