Saturday, March 5, 2011

St. Patrick's Day 1973

The hand written wedding invitations went out shortly before our St. Patrick's Day wedding, 38 years ago. We had a decidedly 1970's wedding that included writing our own vows. We got engaged on Valentine's Day and married four weeks later, so there was no time for fancy printed invitations. My mother's friends were sure I must be pregnant, what with getting married in such a hurry. I was not pregnant! I was just scared to death of being married and I was afraid I would lose my nerve if we didn't get on with it. I know that sounds terribly unromantic, but I don't mean it that way. It's just that, I could never even commit to dating anyone for more than a month, so the thought of spending a whole lifetime with someone, even someone I loved, was daunting...but, alas, it worked out and we are still together and still love one another 38 years later.

My dress was bought off the rack at a hip boutique in Century City for a mere $35 and Mr. Honey wore a white denim Levi suit with a red velvet bow tie and a wildly colorful shirt and platform shoes, very stylish in the seventies. I think it had peacocks on it. What a goofy smile I had on my face...I was just so darn happy.

The photos have all faded, but the wedding cakes were made by a friend as a gift, and the frosting was green in honor of St. Patty's Day.

When I think back it's a miracle we made it to the alter because I was afraid to introduce Mr. Honey to my mother because of his long curly hair which I adored. He said to me, "What are you afraid of? Your mother's going to love me, everybody loves me!" and she did love him.




I guess you could say I've had the luck of the Irish!

8 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

Love the invitation. I think it would be priceless to have. Congratulations.

Blondie's Journal said...

I loved looking back with you, Kathleen! Your wedding invitations and your dress were so pretty. And it sounds like you married a great guy! Happy Anniversary!

XO,
Jane

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a happy trip down memory lane -- we were married in 1975. Happy Anniversary.

Jocelyn said...

So cute!! Happy Anniversary!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

What a sweet story, Kathleen! Happy anniversary! Happy week, too!...hugs...Debbie

Grandma Honey said...

I don't know why I wasn't there but I do very much remember my Mom coming home all excited about it...telling me how you and Richard did it all your own way. I could tell she was very happy for you. Hand written invites huh? Very original.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

AnneMarie said...

Cant think of a better day for a Wedding! Top of the mornin' to you! xx

Amy Arnaz said...

Kathleen~
Your post made me smile... from the white denim suit to the "everybody loves me!" quote. Happy Anniversary. May you have many more wonderful years together. xoxo Amy

Related Posts with Thumbnails