Friday, November 28, 2008

The Thanksgiving Feast



At the Gauthier house, Thanksgiving is all about the food. We go to great lengths to set the mood for our gluttonous reunion. This year both Brook and Lindsay came home for our Thanksgiving feast. My middle daughter, Brook, brought with her, not only a charming guest named Brian, but also a wonderful recipe for cranberry sauce, a gluten-free pumpkin pie and gluten-free stuffing. With my eldest daughter living in the house right next door, we had no shortage of ovens or refrigerator space.



The table was set the night before, this being a tradition of my own mother when she hosted our Thanksgiving feasts in years long gone.


Amanda has been honing her culinary skills for the last several years. You would never know she was my pickiest eater as a child. She prepared our favorite pecan stuffing, yams, garlic mashed potatoes, sauteed carrots, and the most delicious apple and pumpkin pies from scratch, not to mention the beautiful, moist turkey you see above.


Brook was absolutely thrilled to be home. In fact, she drove in Thanksgiving traffic all the way from Tucson, only to be put to work in the kitchen. Doesn't she look happy?

Brook and Brian were endlessly entertained by Brook's three favorite people, her nephews. There was jumping on the trampoline, playing monsters on the bed and lots running through the house, playing ping pong, and uproarious laughter. At the end of the day there was even a game of Scrabble.

Amanda's husband Scott has forever been the designated green bean cook and even our guest Brian, who claims not to like vegetables, enjoyed Scott's green beans. I have to say my son in-law is tops!

Even Lindsay was put to work in Amanda's kitchen peeling the Jonagold apples for our apple pies. Lindsay spent hours with her beloved nephews playing on the computer, jumping on the trampoline and just entertaining her favorite little people.

The boys are never happier than when their aunties are home to play with them.

2 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

I loved seeing the inside of your house! I clicked the pictures so I could see the art and dishes on your walls. I just love how you decorate. And of course it was so nice seeing all 3 of your daughters and all 3 of your grandsons! Love your Thanksgiving table. Your Mom would be proud...but then you did say you were going to set a place for her, so she was probably there.

Brook said...

Joyous holiday, indeed! The traffic was certainly worth the first rate feast & company. I'm just glad there was some time between the main meal and the trampoline. Whew! And I thought I was in shape! Brian and I are still astounded at all we learned from the munchkins. Highlight: "How do chickens turn bugs into eggs?" Answer: "Sunlight, of course!" Was my perspective that global at age 6?

Related Posts with Thumbnails