Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday November 16, 2008

It's suppose to be 80 degrees today but it's still cold in the house and it feels like fall to me.
The weather somehow always affects my mood. I love fall with it's myriad of colorful leaves on the ground carpeting the porch as I enter my house. Life slows down a bit for me in the fall and I
have more time to reflect on my life. Maybe it's partly the stage of life I'm in now that urges me to live in the present moment and appreciate all that I've been given.
This month I received news that my friend's husband has been in the hospital since the end of August suffering from blood poisening that threatened to take his life. He's on the mend now, but for a while, the threat that hovered over him caused everyone who loves him to appreciate every moment as it comes. He is 83 years old and has lived an incredibly creative life. He is due to go home on November 24 and he can hardly wait. On September 11 he almost died, so his homecoming is going to be such a welcome relief.
This last week I received news of another friend who's daughter also contracted septa-semia.
She was only 39 years old and has two beautiful sons and a husband and family that love her dearly. Unfortunately, she was not so lucky and died in just five short days. She had enough light in her to illuminate a room with only her smile. Her energy and love of people will be sorely missed. It's very difficult to understand why one so young is taken when her life has barely begun.
When we are young we think our lives will go on forever and we have plenty of time to show the people we love how much we care, but the truth is, life is fragile and all we really have is the present.
Fall is the time of letting go. My goal is to let go of fear, anger, hurt, pride, & ego and open my heart to love, each and every moment.

6 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Very nice intro and picture!! I look forward to reading, but you may have to send out a note on Myspace or FB that you updated it so I remember! :)

Liminal Lulu said...

Oh Mom, I am so glad to be able to read your thoughts and experiences from a distance. You write so beautifully. It's true, life is fragile. We take it moment by moment always holding a sense of the bigger picture. Sending you my love.
~Lulu

Diane Gauthier said...

You are such a good writer, Kathy! I think you've found your new direction! Keep blogging your thoughts and observations, they are astute and interesting! But then, I've always known you to hit the nail on the head (and in a humorous manner!) for all the years I've known you!

Jocelyn said...

Oh I love this with pics and all!! You might inspire me to blog again, particularly when we get DSL and I can upload pics to help tell the story!

Grandma Honey said...

I have been on this same track lately of appreciating every single day. What a beautiful post you wrote.

Yolanda said...

What artistic abilities you have!! I look forward to reading your posts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails