Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Giving Thanks for Family Nov.'08

I am so thankful to have been given the family I have -- that includes the family I came from, the family I married into, the family I created, and all the friends I am blessed to have who feel like family.

Thanksgiving is such a great time to be reminded that no one loves us like our families.

Last night on Boston Legal a group of unlikely cohorts gathered together for a Thanksgiving feast. Everyone celebrating seemed to be estranged from their families of origin, but still the need to have some semblance of family is what they all craved. Everyone had differing opinions; some had issues. Nonetheless, they were all there to share in a family-style meal and comraderie (though, truth be told, there was more chaos than comraderie). Regardless of the chaos and the arguments, no one would leave -- even when the hostess begged a few of them to leave.

No family is perfect. We all have our issues, but Thanksgiving marks a time each year that each of us is reminded to be thankful. Not a bad thing.

The Thanksgivings of my childhood always included people who had no family to be with.
Because my mother's family of origin lived in Germany she always welcomed her friends that had no where to go to celebrate. When I grew up and had my own family we would travel every
Thanksgiving for years to celebrate with Mom. Mom's house was always welcoming, the table always beautifully set. Mom would also invite some of my friends and their children to come to "Omie's" house for the holiday (she was known as Omie, German for Granny, to my children and my friends). There were always special treats at each place setting for the children.

As the years passed, it became more difficult to always get to Mom's, so she began coming
to our house for Thanksgiving. Of course, she had to help me with the turkey, and she did so happily. It wasn't long before I had more confidence in my own culinary skills. I miss her terribly, but especially, at Thanksgiving.

This Thanksgiving, our daughter Amanda will be making the feast. And since she lives right next door, she will cart the food to my house and I will set the table and do the dishes. It's a fair trade Thanksgiving in my mind. Her Omie would be so proud! This year it is Amanda's sisters who will travel miles to come home for Thanksgiving. Ah, the circle of life.

1 comment:

Grandma Honey said...

I just love the relationship you have with Amanda living right next door. I hope you take lots of pictures at your feast. I'd love to see your family and more of your home. :)
Oh, and I also like what you said about every family having issues. Today on Oprah there was this healthy 94 year old dr still doing surgeries. He said one of the secrets of living long is accepting people as they are, and not trying to change them. I think family and extended family teaches us that over time. All part of God's plan :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails