Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Big Kitchen Remodel

This is the before photo of my daughter's kitchen. I doesn't look like this anymore. My daughter Amanda , her husband and three boys live right next door to me, so when she mentioned they were going to remodel their kitchen this summer, I knew exactly what that meant. It meant that my house would be turned into grand central station while the chaos unfolded at her house.

The drawing above is the vision my sweet girl has for her remodel. They are in the thick of it now. The book shelves that lined the wall before are gone and the new wall where they will have a breakfast bar is being dry walled as I write this post.

In the meantime, my three grandsons play happily in my once untouched living room with their beloved Bionicles. Life has grown messy at my house. Presently there is more noise, more dishes, more toys, more clutter and more life at my house.

I wake up to my eldest grandson's knock at the door at about 6:30 a.m., because he is an early riser and loves coming over and watching National Geographic or Animal Planet in my sun room, while everyone at his house is still asleep. I'm usually up putting on the coffee and his Papa is busy getting ready for work. My normally quiet mornings have been turned into happy chatter about wild animals with my little magpie named Franklin. This boy can light up the room with his smile.

When I get home from work in the evening I'm greeted by my happy (sometimes not so happy, depending on their blood sugar levels) clan, and my daughter wearing one of her various adorable aprons, cooking dinner in my kitchen.

I think Mr. Honey and I will miss all the commotion once their kitchen is finished and we go back to our respective routines, but for now we are enjoying the chaos!

To see more photos of the work in progress and future updates you can visit my daughter's blog
by clicking here.

4 comments:

~CC Catherine said...

Hi Kathy! Your home is a great reprieve for those grandies during all that change in there home, for sure. And, like you, our grandson is spending the night here. He's four, going on 10. Love to hear him talk, I could listen to him all day long. :) I also have a 2 yr old granddaughter and a 1 year old grandson. LIFE IS GREAT being a Mimi/Grandma isn't it? I also work a full time job, so it's nice to have a break once in a while.

Grandma Honey said...

You are really living the life!...having your family right next door. I would so love that. What memories your grandsons will have when they are older of you and their Papa.

I'm interested to see how Amanda's kitchen will all come together.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

HELLO THERE KATHY!

So nice to see you and thank you for stopping by! Oh no...your home must be a bit "derangé" as we say in French....a bit put out for a while! I saw your daughter's blog and things will be looking good soon!!! Having a good summer? Mine is so sweet. Off from the classroom until late August and I am loving it.

Enjoy your new week, Kathy! Anita

Amy Arnaz said...

Morning Kathleen~
You are so lucky to have your daughter & her family living right next door to you. I can say that because our daughter lives right next door to us and I love seeing her walk thru the front door in the morning for coffee. The commotion of having your grandsons in YOUR house must be wonderful. Some of my girlfriends have children & grandchildren so far away they seldom see them. That would make me sad. You & I are blessed. Enjoy the chaos! xoxo Amy

Related Posts with Thumbnails